Eight Different Chain Sharpeners Tested

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and then there are the guys who think they know all "because that is what my Dad taught me", but they have never filed a depth gage......? "Never knew I was supposed to..."

"Warning"!!! Rant to follow...
"cause that's what my Dad taught me". That, is such a double edged sword. To preface this rant, let me start by saying that I'm old .. Pushing 70.. Back, back, way back in the day, there was no Google, no Internet, no SFA, except the people that did stuff, and the Public Library. Right or wrong, that's where knowledge came from.
On one hand, there's a whole lot of valuable knowledge, that isn't in books, or on the net. It's knowledge that exists in the minds of people who have made their living at trades. My Neighbour across the the street, was a jet engine rebuilder for Magellan Aerospace.. He lamented the body of knowledge that was being lost as employees of his age retired. There is just so much stuff, that isn't in a book. Anywhere.
On the other hand, there has never been more knowledge available than there is now on Google, and YouTube. Some is great... Some is just plain wrong..
"Dad", taught you as best as he could ... with the resources he had available.. Imagine "Dad", with the resources of Google and YouTube, teaching you today.
On my upper shelf, in my workshop, I have a dial runout indicator. I have it there for a reason. I had my car into the shop for a brake issue. The ( 4th year) apprentice, didn't know how to use one... didn't have one.. I asked him how he determined if a rotor was out of round, and beyond spec to turn and re-use. He said.. "We're taught to just replace them, if there's a vibration in the axle". Wow..
I keep the dial indicator in my shop to remind me of "old school" principals.

Latest posts

Back