Eight Different Chain Sharpeners Tested

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I Want To Like This Guy, But . . .

Very attractive methodology, using a new chain for each device (3/8 low profile, narrow kerf), which sounds objective. Not sure if they are equally 'dulled', but that is not that big of a big issue. What is a HUGE issue is that he subjectively decides how much to sharpen: not the tool! Experimental bias!

You guys may have heard me say something like, 'The file (grinder, etc.) doesn't sharpen the chain: YOU sharpen the chain. The file (etc.) is just the method you choose.' How did he decide how long to file, grind, etc.? When to stop? You may have also heard me opine, 'The most important part about sharpening is knowing what you want your cutters to look like when finished.' If he gets poor results is it his fault or the fault of the tool?

People have different levels of experience with different methods. Not sure what experience he has with each, if he really understands how to use the specific tool, and does not address any learning curve or skill with each. He clearly is not using the Oregon 420-120 grinder correctly, and probably not the HF one either. Further, look at the dramatic differences in cut time he got between 2 different trials of each tool:

View attachment 891137

And how does he explain such different results between the 3, extremely similar, rotary grinders?

Further, he does not consider sharpening chain when it is more worn, or the possibility of getting different results with different pitch chains.

I liked some of his other videos, but overall, I am disappointed with this one. A common case of: ' I don't know what I am doing, but I am going to do it, and declare a definitive winner.'

Philbert
He does say "Sharpening results will vary quite a bit based on the proficiency of the person using the sharpener".
Like other"best of " or "Top X" videos on the Internet i use Project Farm as a starting point rather than a definitive guide.

It looks like Project Farm decided to test a variety of chain sharpeners ranging in price from $19 to $195 to see how they perform. In total, he covered eight options from files to electrics:

The Stihl 2 in 1 continues to perform well and seems like a great choice for a wide range of people.

Why wasn't the saw in the vice while sharpening with the Granberg? That changes everything, including contact with the cutter as the saw wiggles.......

I was never able to get chains sharper with a machine than hand filing ,but the factory can IDK?
Different grinding procedure, the cutters arnt on a chain yet, flooded with coolant, likely diamond abrasives used. Using a bench grinder no matter the brand had a lot of variables, and the person doing the work has a lot of variables. Many different stone types available for the machine, including the cbn and diamond wheels. How much slop is in the machine, how much you're taking off in a pass etc.

Different grinding procedure, the cutters arnt on a chain yet, flooded with coolant, likely diamond abrasives used. Using a bench grinder no matter the brand had a lot of variables, and the person doing the work has a lot of variables. Many different stone types available for the machine, including the cbn and diamond wheels. How much slop is in the machine, how much you're taking off in a pass etc.
And using a grinder takes just as much drinking around to do it right as hand filing.

Impossible to take the human equation out of the test. Plus too many variables that you can’t control.

It amazes me how many folks will assume that because there’s a yt video, the guy in it must know what he’s doing. It also amazes me how someone will produce an educational video without knowing what they’re doing.
Its all about monetizing through YouTube. You don’t have to know anything but how to entertain a crowd
So you're saying I'm not missing anything in those videos I didn't watch?

I went with an autograb jolly star for speed. Updating to CBN was priceless.

Funny this came up because I watched it this morning. PF does a very good job with his videos but his results are not to be taken as gospel in this video. I don't think the Oregon grinder got a fair shake myself. I don't think he has had much experience with that type of grinder. I myself would have liked to seen what sharpener was best when you rock out a chain .
Mine is.

Heck, Philbert, I can get a new 511AX for less than $300 shipped. But, seems like fixing one that I know works for $160 isn't a bad deal either. My labor is dirt cheap. Decisions, decisions...

Say, I found an LED that I could install in the 511A by simply drilling a 1" dia. hole in the plastic that conceals the bulb. Forstner bit did the trick. It sticks out only a 1/4". Man oh man, is that thing bright now! My eyes are in heaven.
Mine needs a light bulb update. The stocker sucks!

Agreed. Start with new factory chains, characterize their performance by cutting donuts, then sharpen/modify them each of them with one of the file or grinding tools, cut more donuts, then examine the results.
One type of wood to limit the variables.
I don't think how the cutter looks belongs in the evaluation, it's too subjective which is why timed cutting should be the evaluation parameter.
Half the factory chains I've bought were dull. That said a reel goes from consistent to wtf in about two drivers sometimes. Base lines all set the same would be the only way to compare anything not off the reel or a box of new loops.

My 2cts

I can't agree with you on this. And, for at least the third time in this thread, I will state that I generally like his reviews, but he blew it with this.

I could make a video with a guy who never used a firearm, and have him shoot a pistol, a rifle, and a shotgun, all at the SAME target, and from the SAME distance, while blindfolded to eliminate any bias, and claim that the test was 'objective'! I would count the number of holes in the target and use this to declare one 'The Best Gun!'. It would be meaningless, and even misleading.

Why are his results so different between trials? Why does he get such different results from similar tools? Is he evaluating the sharpening tools or the instructions? Is fastest time through wood that most chainsaw users would not cut a good indicator of 'the best' sharpener? He is making that declaration, not 'Here are some random tests I did with some stuff I was screwing around with'.

It is why I do not watch 'Wranglerstar', who usually appears to be more interested in promoting his video channel than fairly comparing items. It is why I read Consumer's Reports with a bit of skepticism: the classic being several guys who apparently never used a hammer, coming up with their ideas of what makes a good one, and using that criteria for rating the ones they found.

Again, I can't agree with you. I have watched 'beginners' struggle with the STIHL 2-in-1 file guide, and even mess up chains with it, until given some guidance. And if Eddie Van Halen (R.I.P.) is going to come back to give them some tips on using that one, he could probably offer some pointers on the other 7 sharpeners in the video too.

Philbert
Go Ed!

He does say "Sharpening results will vary quite a bit based on the proficiency of the person using the sharpener".
Like other"best of " or "Top X" videos on the Internet i use Project Farm as a starting point rather than a definitive guide.
Todd tells you exactly what he is doing and why. That makes his reviews as open and objective as possible. It doesn't mean you will always agree with him. But it does provide valuable info.

It amazes me how many folks will assume that because there’s a yt video, the guy in it must know what he’s doing. It also amazes me how someone will produce an educational video without knowing what they’re doing.
Its all about monetizing through YouTube. You don’t have to know anything but how to entertain a crowd
This is exactly it. Although Hermio says his tests are great,lol.

Latest posts

Back