Estimating price?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Treeclimber I hope I didnt upset you, but I just didn't want fights going on in here or putting peoples knowledge down, etc. But Todd and Deere John these are the answers that will help him a little, I want to add little things maybe not in a dollar amount but in a visual on what to look for to charge extra for such as:
Check the condition of the tree, is it hollow or weak?
How far do you have to drag the brush after you cut it down?
Is there obsticles around the tree? I.E fences, houses, sheds, etc.
How large is the tree?
Major streets? Meaning do we have to add a person to direct traffic?
Please add more, as I know there are more. Got to run again.

Ok suggestions on upgrading your availible services.

Don't start with tall tree work, reffer that stuff to a company you get along with. Crabs, dogs and young trees will allow you to get a handle on what needs to be done. Study tree management so you know the best time to prune, and proper method. then sell it to existing customers with shrub work.

With out a good chipper and a dump box, large volumes of debris can kill a bid. Also a too small chipper will increase the mhrs/effort in removal. I have found that even Malus sp. and other plants with wide branch angles a 9 inch chipper is too small. You just have to cut the stuff down too much.

So what oyu need to start before looking at bidding work is waht type of capitol layout will be involved so you can work out your estimated crew hours. W/C insurance is $33/100 of payroll here for tall tree work.

then, as they say each job is different; how long in the drag to the chipper, how much raking will be needed, who much picking dead twigs out of the stupid ground cover and lava rock, cleaning the gutters. Then there are speicies conciderations, silver maple is easier then honeylocust because the will be less deadwood and the branches are straighter.

Like Tom D. sais of climbing, learn low and slow. Don't try to jump in and run full speed right away, start as a value added service to high end clients.

Yeah, what John Paul said. I apologize for my gruff attitude last week. I haven't been in a good mood, and I shouldn't have taken it out on you- lonestar:(

Yes, there are toooooo many trees that get cut down, and worse, pruned, by good ole boys with a case of beer.

One favourite call was to rescue the husband and good'ole boy/expert tree cutter neighbour. The wife had called and wanted assistance, and when I pulled up with my two-truck circus, they were 9 parts through the case of beer, and somewhat humble experts on tree care. Wife was fuming, but had a smirk along the lines of an "I told you so...."

Back