Advice on palm trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carolinar

Reaction score
I have two mature palm trees in the side between my house and the neighbor's house. We moved in 2 years ago so I don't know exactly what kind of palm trees they are, but the internet seems to indicate they are Mexican fan palms. They have lots of shaggy dead fronds on them and one of them is leaning slightly toward the house. I am wondering if the one that is leaning is going to fall on the house because it also seems to be smaller/indented at the base of the tree compared to the rest of the trunk, I'll attach a picture to show this (it was also being hemmed in by a piece of stone by the storm drain). The one that is leaning is only 7 feet from the house. Should we try to get one or both of them removed entirely or just trimmed? If we get them trimmed, will they keep getting taller and will we need to have them trimmed every year?

Attachments

• IMG_5187 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_5187 Medium.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5188 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_5188 Medium.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5189 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_5189 Medium.jpeg
    128.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5190 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_5190 Medium.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5191 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_5191 Medium.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5192 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_5192 Medium.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5193 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_5193 Medium.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5194 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_5194 Medium.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5195 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_5195 Medium.jpeg
    68.9 KB · Views: 0
It looks like a windmill palm, these fan palms are difficult to ID from pictures.
First prune off and clean up all the dead fronds, you're looking at a big fire hazard. Not to mention rodents and insects nesting in that thicket.
Palms are very sturdy, unlikely a threat to the house. Post pics after you expose the trunk, want to make sure there is no penclling.

Yes, they are in dire need of a pruning, and then reassess, but they wouldn't worry me at all, especially in Cali. I've seen them ride out a cat 4 like, well, like they were bred for it,lol.
Please don't let them carrot top them though, just any fronds below 90 degrees max. A lot of people like to carrot top them to maximize the duration between trimmings, but it can stress the palm out.
Properly trimmed, you should be able to go 2-3 years between prunings.

Ok thank you so much! That definitely seems easier than having them removed.

What is penciling mentioned in the first response?

back in the day in Fla. landscapers would pay you to take them out so they could resell them to commercial land developers. My next door neighbor got 500.00 for two I think were royal palms in the 30 ft. range. I do not know if that is still done.

Latest posts

Back