Is this a bad sign for my Queen Palm?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlwillis

Reaction score
Hello. I have a Queen Palm that seems healthy. However, the base of the tree (pictured below) has me concerned. When it was planted, we surrounded it with large beach rocks because my dog was digging around it. I am not sure if the rocks caused this issue, or if the landscapers did not plant it deep enough. We recently had a tree trimmer out, and he said he thinks it did not get planted deep enough. He also said that it will make the tree too wobbly to climb to trim it as it gets taller. It is now about 20' tall. He recommended cutting it down. What do you all think? TIA

Attachments

• palm tree 1.jpeg
    palm tree 1.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
  • palm tree 2.jpeg
    palm tree 2.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
  • palm tree 3.jpeg
    palm tree 3.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
I am in michigan, so palms obviously arn't my specialty. Queen Palm's have a shallow rooting habit - usually roots are between 1 and 4 feet under the surface. That makes what rooting it has pretty critical. I am concerned that the potentially the paving stone and landscape bricks are restricting the palm space and also it's access to water elsewhere. So it is possibly concentrating growth exclusively around the base.

Was it planted a long time ago? When did you put in the paving stones and the landscape bricks? I would have recommended that the tree be given at least twice the space. But i know that you need to make compromises with your landscape desires. How much shielding does it have from wind, for example other taller trees that break the worst wind gusts? Dramatic changes to shielding from wind gusts are important as well. If your tree grew accustomed to protection it will probably stain under the new exposure. There are of course no promises with trees. I would recommend you find a certified arborist in your area to give the tree a closer look. Not that I don't trust your tree guy and he may well be an arborist as well, but the second opinion would be useful.

Someone with a spider lift or compact lift should be able to access the tree to prune it, by the way.

Thank you. The tree was planted about 6 years ago, and the pavers were added over the top about 2 years ago. The pavers were installed over the existing ground level, and then I put mulch in the circle area surrounding the palm. I'm not sure if any of that makes a difference, but I know in the pictures it looks like there is dirt above the pavers at the base of the palm, but there is not...it's just mulch. There are no other taller trees around. It is in our back yard, and is surrounded by a couple 2 story houses, although it can catch wind in certain directions. I don't see it under too much pressure from wind, though. Also, we water around the palm and the back lawn quite frequently, so I would think it is getting enough water. But we are also concerned that the roots might lift the pavers. I didn't think palm roots do that, but now I'm not sure.

Back