Falling trees with an Excavator

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its these buried roots that are getting me...

So dig the fall side, and left and right then give er a push?

What I've been doing is Either digging front and back, (which works pretty ok) Or digging sides only (which don't work at all) I've tried digging shove side and left and right, without what I would call success...
Matt I've used our shovel by myself I'll take and apply pressure on the back side ahead of time it's safer for you and the machine. You're asking a lot of this little machine that was never designed or built up to be in the woods. I hope you don't get a visit from the state they'll nail you good for no guarding over the cab any machine that walks off a landing has to be guarded.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

That's why i dig stumps after the tree is off them ,my junk wont push em over unless they are small .Yes a root still buried can make it turn right now .
Heck of a lot safer too it's not much different then bucking blow down when you push them over or dig part of the root ball out.

Gonna put this in here, dude running the machine is medically retired, and a neighbor of mine, Hes was worried about me falling trees alone and wanted to "supervise", Legally I know this is sketchy, but he really does just hang out and make sure I don't die... unless the excavator needs played with.... then well you tell him no.

In reality he misses running machines cause all he does anymore is babysit the grandkids and herd 7000 neighborhood dogs...

Anyway he bet me he could limb this hairy assed cedar quicker then I could...

A 120 is an awful small machine to be pushing trees over.

I've never tried anyhow. Been using a 330 and 400 the last year.

Gonna put this in here, dude running the machine is medically retired, and a neighbor of mine, Hes was worried about me falling trees alone and wanted to "supervise", Legally I know this is sketchy, but he really does just hang out and make sure I don't die... unless the excavator needs played with.... then well you tell him no.

In reality he misses running machines cause all he does anymore is babysit the grandkids and herd 7000 neighborhood dogs...

Anyway he bet me he could limb this hairy assed cedar quicker then I could...

Can tell he doesn't have much seat time on an excavator. I'm not a ton better but I have only maybe 400-500hrs running them. Some guys do that in a summer.

Nice to have help though.

I've know guys that have nearly 0 hours that have been super smooth, and other guys with years that I just say "glad that's not my machine!"

Are all the trees you are felling in that size range? I'm really surprised that 120 has enough ass to push them over. In any case, be careful out there!

Hows about ya post some pics of yer huge machines then?

Or maybe some landing pics?

I've said it before and i will say it again, these massive machines are overkill, if and i mean if I need a bigger machine a 200 class us more than ample to get anything done around here. This "little" 120 does more in one day then my fat broke ass can keep up with.

Spending the money on a 300 or 400 class machine is ****ing stupid peroid, the only use eorth while would be a yoder where the sheer weight makes the machine stable enough to drag a bigger turn other wise its just a waste of money and fuel.

Shop a couple properties down has a few of these toys ,they work pretty fast ,their carriage is bigger than my pickup truck for the yarders .Just depends how fast you need to go ,I bet you would have fun in the feller bunchers .Big ol skill saw blade taking trees down in one cut .2014-07-169506-19-1695117 (2) madil.jpg

I've said it before and i will say it again, these massive machines are overkill, if and i mean if I need a bigger machine a 200 class us more than ample to get anything done around here. This "little" 120 does more in one day then my fat broke ass can keep up with.

Spending the money on a 300 or 400 class machine is ****ing stupid peroid, the only use eorth while would be a yoder where the sheer weight makes the machine stable enough to drag a bigger turn other wise its just a waste of money and fuel.
Not sure they are a waste when you're talking production lots of the guys load with a 300, one reason is picking up a 4 axle trailer.

Not sure they are a waste when you're talking production lots of the guys load with a 300, one reason is picking up a 4 axle trailer.

So a 250 or a 290 won't do it? Ya ya oil temps and stuff...

I think the thing folks is fergeting I don't have a crew and have no intention of ever having a crew.

So 2 loads a day is a ****ing miracle, hance needing these big massive money pits would be ridiculous

Also this comes back to being so efficient that a guy spends all of his time searching for work, much like the farmer that started with 40 acres and a 40 hp tractor.... but its more efficient to have 80hp... but then ya need 80 acres to pay fer it... but 160hp is even more efficient... get where im going here.

There is this mythe that efficiancy pays off? My small undersized junk is payed off, I dont have a $3000 payment due every month or $40k in payroll every month to worry about let alone osha l+i or the ****ing unions bothereing me quarterly... but thats ok you folks can play with yer big machines and tjink yer making lots of money, at the end of the year we're all about equal as far as pay goes

I've put some before. I'm processing firewood until next week I think, but I can get more when I got up to the job we are on. It's about 120 acres, clearing 99% of it.

Have a buncher, stroke delimber, 2 grapple skidders, D6 dozer and 330 excavator there.

I have no payments, all was bought well used. The delimber was written off as scrap actually abs traded on hauling some logs. We put a few grand into it to get it going.

I'm no better than the next logger. You asked for thoughts on your setup so I answered.

I drive a 12 yr old nearly 200k mile car and eat balonie more than once a day for crying out loud!

I think the thing folks is fergeting I don't have a crew and have no intention of ever having a crew.

So 2 loads a day is a ****ing miracle, hance needing these big massive money pits would be ridiculous

Also this comes back to being so efficient that a guy spends all of his time searching for work, much like the farmer that started with 40 acres and a 40 hp tractor.... but its more efficient to have 80hp... but then ya need 80 acres to pay fer it... but 160hp is even more efficient... get where im going here.

There is this mythe that efficiancy pays off? My small undersized junk is payed off, I dont have a $3000 payment due every month or $40k in payroll every month to worry about let alone osha l+i or the ****ing unions bothereing me quarterly... but thats ok you folks can play with yer big machines and tjink yer making lots of money, at the end of the year we're all about equal as far as pay goes
Matt do you realize how heavy a 4 axle trailer can be? Most around 10k plus some are north of 12k. I'm not dissing on your setup I'd just say you really need to at least guard the cab or put a forestry cab on before something does happen it'll at least save you a window. Remember I have a high and wide 135 no tail swing with the pins put back for extra lift and I can't even unload a 2 axle trailer height and lift are the issues there. A 300 is almost minimum to pickup a 4 axle mule train pup or log trailer. 3 axle is pushing a 200 sized shovel logger to lift off the truck. You may have no interest in having a crew but having the right equipment for the job is something you're lacking.

968660d7b354337b83b805b25e05b1de.jpg

f076cee8d6fcedb7743950c737646b0d.jpg

Don't be a Hatin' on this Hundo.

I know Kobelcos aren't cool, but what's not to love about a 5.9 Cummins powered 200?
434ec6541c2ea32c5edee985df4e84f4.jpg

I got lucky my 200 has a Mitsubishi in it

That's cool, they are great engines, I prefer the Cummins however.

Added:
I See I had a misfire: I corrected it.

A MoFo Men to that. It ain't whatcha gross it's watcha net and the quality of life while netting it.

Matt do you realize how heavy a 4 axle trailer can be? Most around 10k plus some are north of 12k. I'm not dissing on your setup I'd just say you really need to at least guard the cab or put a forestry cab on before something does happen it'll at least save you a window. Remember I have a high and wide 135 no tail swing with the pins put back for extra lift and I can't even unload a 2 axle trailer height and lift are the issues there. A 300 is almost minimum to pickup a 4 axle mule train pup or log trailer. 3 axle is pushing a 200 sized shovel logger to lift off the truck. You may have no interest in having a crew but having the right equipment for the job is something you're lacking.

I get where ya all are coming from, but I think yer logic is flawed, WTF does anyone need with a 4 axle trailer? when yer trailer weighs 10k ya have to start asking hard questions like when is this too much?

seriously we can go round and round on this... Ya all aren't going to change my mind, and I probably wont change yers...

But think if you will, how many drivers are running standard 2 axle trailers, vs how many are running 3 or 4 axle trailers? Then ask yerself what rates they are charging?

How often do any of us come across a log that weighs more then 8k, and even if we do its scarce and can be side loaded.

Then consider the royal pain it is too move a machine in the 300 or bigger class, chase cars, permits, lowboys with jeeps, gettin all said refuse up the mountain without incident.

Is it worth it?

Cost me $250 to move the 120 a week ago, add a coma to that if it was a bigger machine at least.

Also mule trains are all fine and good, but I ask... except for pulp, which pays diddly anyway, short logs don't pay squat either... why run em? Mix a few short logs in with the long logs, and maybe find a short logger willing to run without the pup, and poof no need for a massive machine to unload said pup. (and really its not like they put a whole lot of wood on them pups anyway).

what I'm getting at here, is big machines=big overhead=big maintenance=big bills=big insurance=big ****ing headache.

All of this mess so a guy can sit back at the end of the day and say. "look how productive we are, too bad I'm still broke"

Back