FarmerTec/Huztl Rail System

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WolfMann

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So you guys may have seen this already but I figured I'd make a post for those who haven't, Huztl now offers an Alaskan mill rail kit. Its 9ft and goes for about $100. Might be a good way to get some mill extension material too. Wondering if anyone here has tried it already? Looks like the face plates could use an upgrade, but I can't speak from experience.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-11-29-22-14-13.png
    Screenshot_2018-11-29-22-14-13.png
    176.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_2018-11-29-22-14-21.png
    Screenshot_2018-11-29-22-14-21.png
    182.7 KB · Views: 43
New to the site...

Not trying to highjack the thread, but I bought the 36” mill for $100 + free shipping. Haven’t used it yet but will let you guys know.

It’s an interesting website. Does anyone have any experience buying their knockoff saws? Reviews online seem to be pretty good and they are half the price.

There was a great post awhile back comparing Huztl mills to Granberg, if I remember right they're basically identical.

I've been using one of their 36" mills and it's held up fine for 3000 board ft and counting. Just finished assembling one of their 070 kit saws too (the thing is massive) haven't fit a bar to it though so I can't say how well it holds up yet.

RE: Alaskan mill rail kit.
Unless you are milling the same diameter logs the log rails work better if the are adjustable for width which the Huztl setup does not appear to be. This seems rather odd given they are using a Unistrut like material for the log rails themselves. I'm not sure about teh price of Unstrut in the US but I suspect you can purchase a 20ft length of Unistrut and some all thread rod and come up with a better system for less than $100.

I'm not sure about the price of Unstrut in the US but I suspect you can purchase a 20ft length of Unistrut and some all thread rod and come up with a better system for less than $100.

I haven't done an extensive search but I've never been able to find that particular unistrut (with the groove on top) which is used on the granberg and huztl mills themselves. I think you mentioned they use it on road signs in your neck of the woods. Do you have a name for it? I was wondering if this could be a cheaper option for someone looking to extend their Alaskan while keeping materials the same.

It's definitely influenced by the granberg design. I'm not sure if that one is adjustable for width either? Seen people mill some larger logs with it all the same. It doesn't look like it would be too much work to bump the width up on the huztl setup though.

Wolf, how hard are the saw to put together? I’ve only done beginner type mechanical stuff and don’t want to get in over my head. But really like the price point.

There's a member here who has a YouTube video assembly of most, if not all, of the huztl saws, I'd suggest printing out an ipl and referencing the videos, hard to go wrong if you take your time.

For you guys that have ordered from Hutzl before, how was the experience?

I ordered a couple of things on their website and the website shows I ordered them and they charged my credit card, but I’ve received NO verification emails about the order or anything on the shipping. Is this standard? Should I try to contact them?

Had that happen when I ordered the 070 kit, got a charge, no shipping info, it showed up 8 days after I ordered, just like they said.

I can’t decide, after reading some of this forum, whether to use an aluminum ladder or try and make rails out of some unistrut. I’m a little nervous trying to make my own... have seen some pics but can’t really visualize how to connect the angle iron to the unistrut to secure it to the log.

I’ll keep searching. Might try the ladder first.

I use an extension ladder too, lightweight and easy, although I've been thinking about switching over to the Will Malloff 2x12 board and bolt system.

I haven't done an extensive search but I've never been able to find that particular unistrut (with the groove on top) which is used on the granberg and huztl mills themselves. I think you mentioned they use it on road signs in your neck of the woods. Do you have a name for it? I was wondering if this could be a cheaper option for someone looking to extend their Alaskan while keeping materials the same.
Yeah lots of people have looked for it in the US and not found it. Its called Heavy Duty Highway Sign Channel Here in Oz we have very few advantages over the US for milling stuff and that might be one of them.

I can’t decide, after reading some of this forum, whether to use an aluminum ladder or try and make rails out of some unistrut. I’m a little nervous trying to make my own... have seen some pics but can’t really visualize how to connect the angle iron to the unistrut to secure it to the log..

Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 6.21.06 am.png
Rails-Underneath.jpg

Thanks Bob, that’s awesome. Those pics really help to understand the design. I’m guessing the threaded rod is just used as support to keep the rails from bowing outward from the side as the unistrut gets longer?

Latest posts

Back