Female climbers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mapleman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ahhh, there's nothing finer than to be on the ground at the base of the trunk, looking up and seeing a woman body thrust up a rope. I've taught several women to recreational climb. I love seeing those hips and butt thrusting up the tree...

I've also worked with several women. I met Trish in Healdsberg, CA, carving up a Doug fir with a big Huskie and a 28" or 32" bar. She met her man climbing for pinecones in the Sierras. But I've yet to see a woman working with a running chain saw in a tree. I came across an outfit in the Raleigh area that had a woman climber who was reputed to be a good take down artist and pruner, but I never saw her work.

Anyone out there have stories of women working in trees? This thread could get real interesting if we allow it to delve out of the PG arena.

Only in my dreams..... To the ones that do, I take my hat off to them. It is not an easy task...

They're here. Fortunately, I think their purpose for hanging out at AS is to just be part of the group, not to be the exception.

My understanding is that most of them on this website have abandoned hip-thrusting for SRT. Perhaps only because it was so undignified, but more likely because it requires more leg and less upper body to go up the tree.

Maybe just to disappoint the onlookers, too.

large_homer_drool.jpg

There was an outfit in Russian River/Forestville, CA area--I forget the name, but it was catchy and sexy sounding. It was two women climbers. I think they did mostly pruning. This was back in the late 80s-mid 90s. Personally, I think having women on the crew is a plus.

Really though. Wife and I have a female friend who use to bug me to teach her to climb.

Boy you should of seen my wifes tongue go sideways and her cheek swell out.
AVCKECAORT0A5CANK99PTCATLOUW7CAYT69.jpg

Just remembered the name of that company--"It Ain't Ladylike Tree Service." Not as sexy as I thought.

Not being married, I hadn't thought about the whole dynamics of having a woman on the crew. For me it's more a matter of if a person can pull his/her weight. There was a whole controversy of women firefighters. I'm all for equal opportunity, but if physical limitations jepordize safety, ie, not being able to fireman carry a person from a burning building or not being able to run a bull rope with a 600 lb. piece attached, then a line has been crossed.

As for pruning, women have a more aesthetic eye when it comes to shaping. And they are generally lighter on their feet and able to limb walk farther out to make those really great cuts on the ends of branches that look like someone in a bucket made them. But for doing takedowns where big chunks need to be hand thrown, not many women are built for that.

Checked out those pics. With the exception of 2 or 3 women, most of the others looked like recreational climbers or groundies rather than working climbers. Having said that, I've seen a lot of out of shape male bucket operators and overweight climbers, who never leave the trunk, in my day. You can always tell where these guys have been--bigger cuts closer in to the trunk rather than smaller thinning cuts farther out on the limbs.

They're here. Fortunately, I think their purpose for hanging out at AS is to just be part of the group, not to be the exception.

My understanding is that most of them on this website have abandoned hip-thrusting for SRT. Perhaps only because it was so undignified, but more likely because it requires more leg and less upper body to go up the tree.

Maybe just to disappoint the onlookers, too.

Hey, I abandoned a whole lot of that... in the trees that is. But I did mention before how my nipples occasionally get nerpled when I use a split tail. I think I get right between the beeners. I would imagine this might be worse for the ladies.

Last edited:
Dan wrote:

"Hey, I abandoned a whole lot of that... in the trees that is. But I did mention before how my nipples occasionally get nerpled when I use a split tail. I think I get right between the beeners. I would imagine this might be worse for the ladies."

Imagine having to go up in a tree and helping a distressed damsel extricate herself from that situation. I've seen guys with long hair or beards get really gnarled up in their rigging. Good to have a pair of hand snips when that happens. A friend of mine and I had to lower a guy out of a tree because he froze in a crotch 40 feet up.

I had another guy who wanted to work for me tell me he was a natural. I told him we'd conduct an interview in the top of a tree that I was about to take down. It was a short interview--he but his gaffs on the outside of his boots.

Ummm... Look at 'Kathy'... I'm pretty sure she could take me in a fistfight. :jawdrop:

attachment.php

Not me man. I had to kick her ass before for hitting on my wife.

(just kidding of course Ive never met him... I mean her.)

Well, she looks like Shelia, the ,uhm, lady who lives over on frog hollow ( see frog hollow posts). Exactly like her.
I know some of us are getting worked up over this , some more than others and in ways best no spoken I reckon.
I am down with Ms. Holzer, or is it Mrs.? Doesn't matter, I just know that is one female who don't go" Gee, that sounds high" when you give em the estimate. Kathy, you go girl, tell the rest of them.

Years ago I went to watch the world climbing competition at Birmingham.

Climbing there was Isabelle Patissier (who came second)...

1Patissier-Isabelle-Ph-Fragnol%5B1%5D.JPG

And Lyn Hill (who came first)...
lynn_hill_yosemite_2.jpg

Lets just say that I paid a lot more attention to the womans climbing than the mens.

Issabelle Patissiar was amazing to watch and moved like quicksilver, no wasted effort and all fluid motion.
I think I fell in lust with her.

The women in general were a lot more fluid than the men anyway, and they used their feet a lot more, the blokes just grabbed onto things and hoiked themselves up by sheer strength.

Years ago I went to watch the world climbing competition at Birmingham.

Climbing there was Isabelle Patissier (who came second)...

1Patissier-Isabelle-Ph-Fragnol%5B1%5D.JPG

And Lyn Hill (who came first)...
lynn_hill_yosemite_2.jpg

Lets just say that I paid a lot more attention to the womans climbing than the mens.

Issabelle Patissiar was amazing to watch and moved like quicksilver, no wasted effort and all fluid motion.
I think I fell in lust with her.

The women in general were a lot more fluid than the men anyway, and they used their feet a lot more, the blokes just grabbed onto things and hoiked themselves up by sheer strength.

Damn, I'm gonna switch to rock climbing. Later, guys. You have fun with the tree broads!

Back