Firewood Venders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if you are doing this for a full-time business or a side business. I sell about 25 cords a year now. Mostly as a winter job. I try and cut ahead but that doesn't always work out. Most of my sales are picked up by the customer. You didn't say how you obtain your wood. Hiring help is an added expense. not much profit left after paying help. If you have problems with thieves maybe you should talk to your police dept about making a drive by your wood lot. Signs about surveillance make some lowlifes think twice. Good luck on your business.

If you're selling 25 cords a year, you should be able to post way more pics :innocent:

It's mostly 1 and 2 cord orders. I get requests to stack but decline on most. If I had the time, it's easy money. Stacking wood off the back of a truck goes way faster than when it's on the ground. I have 1 stack job next week where I have to wheel the wood about 40 feet and it will be $60. I can do it with a helper in about 45 minutes.

I agree about not wanting to do it. If I had more time in the fall or sold more in the summer I would stack more because per hour, there's more money in stacking than cutting/splitting.

This.

I stack quite a bit because they'll usually help and my loads are smaller.

One specific scenario last year a guy had to run out to fix an appliance, gave me $40 to unload 2 face cord and it was right next to the truck and he had a rack off the ground. I literally stood in one spot for one face cord and pivoted, then hopped on the truck, moved the other face cord to the edge, and repeated the process. Maybe fifteen minutes and i was taking my time.

I almost cried thinking how much more work goes into the firewood itself. People just don't know.

Stacking a half cord is not that bad if the rack is close. Full cords and wheelbarrow work just seems to take forever especially when you have 2 or 3 more stops to make. Heading out for deliveries this evening just to dump and go.

Even a full cord doesn't bother me. Having to go even a small distance is a time and energy killer. It's because you're moving such a small amount at a time, even a heaped wheelbarrow will take many trips for anything more than a face cord.

An hour spent stacking is an hour less at the shop working on the next order. I can have a cord cut, split and stacked in the truck in 2 hours pretty easy.

An hour spent stacking is an hour less at the shop working on the next order. I can have a cord cut, split and stacked in the truck in 2 hours pretty easy.
It's not for everyone's business model. But, I do have to ask, do you clear $60 an hour processing firewood? If you can stack a cord of wood in an hour (which is very easy in most delivery situations) and it pays $60, you just cleared $60 an hour.

I charge $100 to stack a cord now if it's at the back of the truck. Last year I charged $80 to stack a full cord but I like to work in round numbers like $100.

Back