Friction hitches. Which one to use for different situations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8-11 or 11.5. I'm not sure about 11.5

I would stick with 7/16" (11mm) diameter to be 100% safe. Mechanical devices, unlike friction cord are generally very unforgiving of wrong diameter rope being run through them.
Check out this All gear climb rope from treestuff. It's very well priced $90 for 120'. I have used an Allgear climb rope before and was very impressed with its feel, knot holding and durability. I can't remember its name though.
I currently have a 100' 5/8" 18000 lbs bull rope from Allgear and it is a very high quality rope.

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=5&item=706#detail

I've been liking the michoacan for longer ascents or when i have alot of branches to pass. That being said, the blakes still gets used in certain circumstances. For instance today I only had to run up a sycamore about 20ft and had no branches to pass, the blakes with the tail of the rope was quick and easy. I would have still been setting up my slack tending biner by the time I was making my first cut.
I think that everyone should be able to get by with just a rope and saddle JIC.
Tried a few different hitches, really like the michoacan, very easy to tie and tends great with zero set back.
I love to learn new knots but find myself using only a few for most of my climbing and rigging. KISS

Latest posts

Back