Gas fireplace help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My gas fireplace is awesome for taking the chill off on mornings where it’s too warm to run the wood heat.

Lately if you turn up the thermostat it doesn’t turn on. But if you tap the gas valve under the unit it will fire right up and work great till the temp on the thermostat is reached.

Are we able to clean anything in these or is the valve just worn out? Unit is 19 years old.

Furnace was doing that gets debris from the old copper line (LP). Had the valve replaced 2 service calls of course. Part under warranty at least.

Shoulda said mine also worked if ya banged on it half a dozen times. Might work half the day might only run once.

My primary furnace regulator/valve had dirt and rust in it after 22 years...there was no fix other than replacing the regulator/valve. They tapped it out and it was amazing the debris that had gotten through the inlet screen.

We replaced the entire furnace two months later...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

So I’m planning to get after this layer.

To confirm I should first disconnect the supply and check for debris inside the valve?

39D2DCB3-5744-4D5A-8A8B-986BCAD50864.jpeg

Ok I played around with the valve tonight.

It lights and doesn’t light for no rhyme or reason Turning the thermostat off/on makes no difference but if you unplug the thermostat it does go out.

Should I just get a new valve?

Ok I played around with the valve tonight.

It lights and doesn’t light for no rhyme or reason Turning the thermostat off/on makes no difference but if you unplug the thermostat it does go out.

Should I just get a new valve?
Did you check for debris in the inlet screen?

They initially replaced my valve and that solved most of my issues, but the rest of the furnace was aged...for $150 it was worth the try to get the house warm and worked for a while.

You should have a "moisture" trap ahead of it...that would also be good to look at for rust/debris.

I took off every part that comes off, cleaned everything. Still does the same.

The strange thing that makes me think the valve is shot...it will light when thermostat is plugged in even if it’s “off” but sometimes takes tapping on the valve.

Valve is bad...mine did the same, tap it and it would work a few times, and nothing.

Thermocouple.

If there is no supplemental power the t-stat is thermocouple operated. As the thermocouple gets old the output milliVolt output drops. Tapping the main valve make the difference from low output and as bugs bunny would say Voi see la see

Steve
There are so many variables . Is the valve natural gas , propane or converted to either or. You need a trap close to inlet of valve. Is the regulator pressure set correctly{ Measured in Inches of water) ECT. If you do not have the answers let a Pro handle it.
Is a 19 old valve worth It?

Thermocouple.

If there is no supplemental power the t-stat is thermocouple operated. As the thermocouple gets old the output milliVolt output drops. Tapping the main valve make the difference from low output and as bugs bunny would say Voi see la see
I have a spare thermocouple in the tool cabinet, hopefully it is the right one.

Steve
There are so many variables . Is the valve natural gas , propane or converted to either or. You need a trap close to inlet of valve. Is the regulator pressure set correctly{ Measured in Inches of water) ECT. If you do not have the answers let a Pro handle it.
Is a 19 old valve worth It?
I understand your concern, I am only working within my comfort level here. There are actually two shut offs for the gas, one next to the hearth and one right before the valve itself. Both are shut off before I begin work. I have done a decent amount of work with LP, hooking up lights, furnaces, etc just haven't been into a valve before. But if it gets to the point I am beyond my comfort I will call someone else. As I may have mentioned, my regular repair guy is MIA lately and I am not paying someone to drive an hour and a half to fix one of three parts unless it is something I cannot handle.

Back