New (to me) MS250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagraAdam

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi guys, I just picked up a cheap MS250 that seems to run ok, and I assumed that it was .325 but checking the sprocket it's a "1123/73 B Picco Z6" which i believe to be a 3/8 sprocket. The bar is a 3005 000 3909, which i believe to be the 14" 043 bar.

I know that it came out with a .325 063 16" and 18" bar, so I assumed that I could put my 16: bar from my 391 on it, but the bolts/studs are different.

Before I buy a new chain for it (as it needs one), can I get a 16" 3/8LP 063 chain/bar on it? I'm assuming it'll be a different bar to the one for the 391 and run a different number od DL (which is a pain).

or, what's the best 16" chain/bar combo? 3/8LP 050?

Thanks heaps!

Adam

P.S. Yes it needs a clean!

2021-02-25 18.24.54.jpg

Hmm,
I would suggest 16" .050 (1.3mm) 3/8pico and enjoy the speed, and reach.
And I assume it will also fit the 170, but dont quote me on that, someone else please confirm they interchange.

If you're going with 3/8 Picco .050", the Stihl PS or PS3 is hard to beat. I've seen a couple of people post timed cuts showing the reduced-kickback PS3 cuts just as fast as the standard PS, so may as well pick the safest option.

So i cleaned up the bar (it was rusty), put on a 3/8LP full chisel 043 chain i had spare for the MS170, cleaned a lifetime of gunk off the daw (the flywheel could hardly turn and the sprocket was all blocked up too), flushed out the oil tank with petrol and put new fuel in it and it runs much better than it did when i got it. I've got a 16" bar and 050 3/8LP full chisel chain in the mail. I did a few test cuts and it's a nice little saw. 2kg lighter than the MS391 and more powerful than the MS170 (plus now me and the mrs can both be on smaller saws and i don't have to buck with the MS391...)

Just ran a full tank through it. It did a great job cutting. It only weighs slightly more than the 170 and has heaps more power. The only problem was it tended to splutter and stall when fuel was low and I was holding it on an angle... I guess I'll check the fuel pick up can move freely..

Check the fuel line at the top of the tank, I’ve seen a few perish where the fuel line bends and they can suck air. That’s on a 170 anyway.

Out of about 7 saws that I’ve seen, 3 had perished. They would struggle under load but usually free rev reasonably well. My local Stihl dealer had the new green fuel line instead of black rubber and they were about AUD$13 each. I’m told the green ones are the best quality, no idea why though.

If you're using the chain from the ms170 you may need a couple of extra links on it, I just managed to get my 14" Picco chain and bar onto my 025 but the bar was far enough back that the oiler didn't quite meet the hole on the bar and wasn't getting oil, wasn't far off though

If you're using the chain from the ms170 you may need a couple of extra links on it, I just managed to get my 14" Picco chain and bar onto my 025 but the bar was far enough back that the oiler didn't quite meet the hole on the bar and wasn't getting oil, wasn't far off though
I'm pretty sure the bar is a bar from a 170

Out of about 7 saws that I’ve seen, 3 had perished. They would struggle under load but usually free rev reasonably well. My local Stihl dealer had the new green fuel line instead of black rubber and they were about AUD$13 each. I’m told the green ones are the best quality, no idea why though.
They are nitrile. I thought they stopped using them. At least in the US.
They last forever. Old fuel doesn't effect them, BUT, from what I've been told
their cold weather performance isn't good. They must get stiff.
Not a problem for you, because the sun always shines down-under. LOL
Or because they last forever. Take your choice.

They are nitrile. I thought they stopped using them. At least in the US.
They last forever. Old fuel doesn't effect them, BUT, from what I've been told
their cold weather performance isn't good. They must get stiff.
Not a problem for you, because the sun always shines down-under. LOL
Or because they last forever. Take your choice.
Lol, where I am (Tasmania) we get 9 months of winter!

Lol, where I am (Tasmania) we get 9 months of winter!
Thanks. I just googled you home. I didn't know that.

As for the lines, Stihl uses the green in line trimmers and blowers,
but seemed to have gotten away from them in saws.
But that's the US.

Latest posts

Back