Good or bad idea? Saw sharpening or stump grinding?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hogheadjeremy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi fellows,
I have a question and would like your input. Yes I'm sure you've herd this one before.
I have a great paying job and like what I do but was wanting to do a side money maker. I already do 75 to 100 cords of wood a year but it's back breaking work, which I'm not scared of but I also like to use my head and not my back, so I'm either gonna do saw sharpening or stump grinding to add to my work load, and maybe forget about the firewood. Here's what I'm thinking.

Saw sharpening- if I go this route I just want to sharpen and grind rackers,that's it. I don't own a saw shop or a store that sells saw equipment, it would be a home based thing.I live in Ohio and seems a lot of guys need Good saw sharpening on their saws. I figure if I'm gonna do it then I'm gonna do it the right way to get good customers and do quality work for them so I am looking at the Franzen automatic sharpener. I figure very low overhead and yes I know it's very costly but I figure if I build a good customer base then it would pay for itself in a few years. I'm gonna buy it out right so no payments, just getting my money back then profit.

Stump grinding- I was thinking about the Fecon Stumpex. It seems like a great grinder also with low maintenance. It attaches to my skid steer. With that being said I'd have money wrapped up in fuel , insurance, equipment maintenance and running and doing estimates. I already have the truck, skid steer and trailer. But it's not a home based thing either. It also is costly but same as the other I would pay for it up front.
I know nothing is easy and it never has been, but my pops always said if you do a good job for someone then the jobs will come to you in return. I am a good salesman (can sell ice to an escomo, lol) and know how to do good advertising. I'm willing to work hard at it but wanting to know if either is worth the time and money?

I do have experience in the logging lumber(was raised in 2 generations of loggers and sawmill men) and tree service world, not a green horn but also not my full time job. So my question is what's your opinions on which road to take? Or just go buy a new Indian or Harley? Lol. I appreciate any advice or opinions, thank you and God Bless, Hog...

I know nothing about stump grinding.

A few thoughts with the sharpening idea (local saw shop bought a used Franzen a couple years ago. I have them do the occasional chain (mostly file using a Granberg or FG2). Seems to do a nice job. Since I have so few done, I noticed a while after they got the machine that their price per chain had jumped a bunch. I don't know if it was the Franzen purchase or just things getting more expensive in spite of no inflation.

The Franzen seems to work out well for them, minimum setup and walk away until done. I'm not sure how it would work out if you're sitting there drumming your fingers waiting on it.

I would want to look at options in the area and their prices. Think about what you could charge and time to pay off then turn a profit. Don't forget consumables, power, etc. and your time. As a side gig, getting the chains and returning them could be a hassle. Sounds like the potential for a lot of interrupted evenings and weekends. Sharpen on the spot or strictly dropoff/pickup?

Just some thoughts.

Thanks for your input. If I do the saw sharpening - So far most shops around here charge $4.50 to $10.00, depending the size chain . I figure $6.00 to $8.00 depending on the size of chain. As far as getting customers I plan on trying to get a both at the local fairs and flea markets to show off the franzen and show people how great of job it can do. People like eye catching things that are cool. "curiosity killed the cat" thing. Also contacting all tree services, landscaping contractors, city maintenance garages, Craigslist, Facebook, sued for other saw shops. I have a whole lot of ideas to drum up business (I pray they work lol). Im not a shy guy and not a bite scared to talk or show others what I can do for them . I also have done the math and even if it did take 5 years to recoup my money I'm ok with that. I want it to be a side thing. My other cost don't seem to be that much to run or maintain the machine. I've talked to a few guys who own them and the one said it's already almost paid for itself within a year and the other is a ACE Hardware store , they both said it was one of the best investments they have made. I'm gonna go see how it works this weekend.

If you are even seriously thinking about it, get a good quality grinder, and learn how to use it. Then you will see that the chainsaw sharpening biz is a money loser, but at least you will have a good grinder and have learned how to use it {hopefully}.

Yes I'm very serious about it. Can you elaborate on your opinion? I already have the latest organ grinder :)

.I sharpen a few chains in the side and I have learned this...

1- I will never make much money in my area

2-people bring chains that are horrendous

3-it leaves a mess from the dust

With that said I really like to keep my chains sharp, and I like to do a few customers chains....it turns into a "job" when some one brings me a dozen chains that look like they have tried to cut concrete, LOL...

I would start trying to get customers, (if you haven't already), and just see how it goes....you may get a bunch, or you may be like me and just get a few here and there....

Not trying to discourage you in anyway just giving you my 2-pennies worth...

Well try first to build up a sharpening business, and see how it goes, before even thinking about a Franzen. You could do chains almost as fast with a good quality grinder, and it would take a whole lot of chains to pay for a Franzen.
Or approach a local shop with a Franzen, and offer to work cheap as their chain sharpening dude, and you would quickly see that the Franzen isn't a good investment in your case.

I have to agree with Harley T, saw sharpening isn't a money maker, at least in my area. I have a neighbor that owns a stump grinder and he takes it out on a job maybe once a month if that and he's pretty well connected so neither seems to be worth the effort. If I had a job that paid a lot of money I think I'd spend my spare time with a nice set of golf clubs...

Having experience with the Franzen, it isn't as "hands free" as it is touted. You are hearing the sales pitch for the thing, whether the Franzen sales team's version, or the shop owner's version defending his investment in the thing.

Running the thing takes much more investment in time/attention than you will be told, which is why I suggest you go to work for one of these dealers on the side. Do it on a commission basis, when they have a bunch of chains to be done.
The dealer likely wouldn't go for that, as it would cost him too much money, plus he would likely never have enough chains lined up to make it worth your showing up.

Either way, it should be apparent that you shouldn't buy a Franzen in your quest to make extra money.

hey gentlemen, thanks for all your input, truly gives me something to think about. I'm def gonna do some more thinking and hands on research on the machine. I'm going Saturday to watch one in action. I'm also gonna do some talking to some of the local tree sevices and others as well. I'd love to find a good used one, that would be sweet. If any of you hear of one please let me know. I genus if I do buy it and it don't make me much I'd have the coolest chain sharpener in northern Ohio, lol . I'm a very blessed man and thank God for all I got, like I said if it did takes 5 years to pay for itself I'm ok with it. I sell firewood on the side now so I can still stay busy. I do have an opportunity to get a very very good deal on a Hahn HFP 160 skid steer firewood processor, hardly used.
As far as the stump grinding goes, well there's a lot of stumps to be ground and that's another floating idea in the air.
I know I sound as though I have a lot of different options and I do , I just wanna choose the right one.

.I sharpen a few chains in the side and I have learned this...

1- I will never make much money in my area

2-people bring chains that are horrendous

3-it leaves a mess from the dust

With that said I really like to keep my chains sharp, and I like to do a few customers chains....it turns into a "job" when some one brings me a dozen chains that look like they have tried to cut concrete, LOL...

I would start trying to get customers, (if you haven't already), and just see how it goes....you may get a bunch, or you may be like me and just get a few here and there....

Not trying to discourage you in anyway just giving you my 2-pennies worth...
May I ask if you advertised or tried really hard to drum up business, or just word of mouth customers?
And no discouragement taken, and advice is appreciated , ty

I don't have an opinion on the sharpening but as for the grinding it could be a good thing.
I do a lil tree work on the side for friends and family and also burn the wood so it's a win win for me.
The guy I have grind stumps for the jobs I do is usually very busy. He started doing it as a side job after he retired. Now he says he's busier than he planned on but there's a lot of demand in this area of western Michigan.
Either way, good luck...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

May I ask if you advertised or tried really hard to drum up business, or just word of mouth customers?
And no discouragement taken, and advice is appreciated , ty
Well I have put an add on craigslist, and then I got some "word of mouth" business....I have done enough chains to pay for my Oregon grinder and CBN wheels, and business seems to come in waves...

I could definitely be doin more to drum up business, but with working full time, doing tree work on the side, cutting wood for OWB, and having a 2-year old girl, spare time is a luxury at this point....

To be honest I only got a grinder in the first place to do my own chains, I heat with an OWB so between that and some tree work i cut a decent amount of wood.....after "playing" with the grinder and figuring it out, I realized I could get good cutting chains, easily and quick too...I also rebuild saws, and the guys I sold saws to really liked the way the chains on the saws I sold them cut....so they just kept bringing back chains for me to sharpen...so that's what led me to put the ad out and see what how much business I could really get....

Its strange I don't get a lot more business....the local Stihl dealer whom I get a lot of parts from, does NOT do a good job sharpening chains...I always look at the rack were they hang the "finished" chains, and they are always burnt, ground to fast, and the rakers are usually not hit...

I don't have an opinion on the sharpening but as for the grinding it could be a good thing.
I do a lil tree work on the side for friends and family and also burn the wood so it's a win win for me.
The guy I have grind stumps for the jobs I do is usually very busy. He started doing it as a side job after he retired. Now he says he's busier than he planned on but there's a lot of demand in this area of western Michigan.
Either way, good luck...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Yes I hear that the stump grinders do stay busy around here to, but Mother Nature to deal with and a lot of overhead, equipment, insurance, oops, running estates. Don't get me wrong it's a great idea but I think I'm leaning more towards the shattering business.

Well I have put an add on craigslist, and then I got some "word of mouth" business....I have done enough chains to pay for my Oregon grinder and CBN wheels, and business seems to come in waves...

I could definitely be doin more to drum up business, but with working full time, doing tree work on the side, cutting wood for OWB, and having a 2-year old girl, spare time is a luxury at this point....

To be honest I only got a grinder in the first place to do my own chains, I heat with an OWB so between that and some tree work i cut a decent amount of wood.....after "playing" with the grinder and figuring it out, I realized I could get good cutting chains, easily and quick too...I also rebuild saws, and the guys I sold saws to really liked the way the chains on the saws I sold them cut....so they just kept bringing back chains for me to sharpen...so that's what led me to put the ad out and see what how much business I could really get....

Its strange I don't get a lot more business....the local Stihl dealer whom I get a lot of parts from, does NOT do a good job sharpening chains...I always look at the rack were they hang the "finished" chains, and they are always burnt, ground to fast, and the rakers are usually not hit...
Well my kids are all raised and when I'm not at the woods then I'm here fiddling with something around the house. My wife and pops wants me outta the woods (say it's to dangerous) HA!!! I say, I love it there , lol . But I get where they are coming from. My family's always been in the logging and lumber business. My pops is 78 and still hauling logs and in the woods with the crew. He's gonna retire after we get a few more tracts of timber done (SO HE SAYS) so they don't like the idea of me in the woods doing my thing alone at times. So that's why I'm looking at these other "not so dangerous opportunities for side work..

You know we've also at times takin our chains to a local shop to get our chains sharpened and got the same result , not really sharp and some burnt. So I figure if I can show people how good my sharpening can do then I can win them over and get their business. I seriously know this could work if I put all the effort in it and of course prayers behind it. If I buy this machine I'm not gonna stop until I'm averaging at least 50 to 100 a week. The one saw shop around here does quite a bite every week, says he can't keep up, but he don't want to sub any out either, lol hhmmm ,yeah he might be making some jingle in his pocket. Regardless in the morning I'm gonna go see the Franzen grind some chains and see what all the hype is about this wonderful machine (so they say) if it is what they say then I'm gonna pull the trigger here in the next few weeks, won't be long those leaves will be turning and so will the fever of the wood cutting, and that means they will need sharp chains for the dust makers

Latest posts

Back