Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcwhipple

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I picked up a beat up husky 61 in a package deal and am thinking of rebuilding with a 272xp cylinder and piston. I’m looking for some advice on what to use. I see the meteor set up is pretty good. I am staying away from the cheaper Chinese made stuff based on the reports that they have tendency to have imperfections I the cylinders. I’m also thinking if a used OEM piston and cylinder be the best route? If anyone has had any experience with another brand that I’m not familiar with I’d like to know. Looking to do this build for the least amount of money possible but also want it to be worth the effort. Thanks!

No point in putting a new top end on a worn out old bottom end- have to sort out any issues in the lower half before shelling out for a new top half.
Generally speaking OEM, Meteor and Hyway and then a lottery of sub par quality.
You also need the larger carb and intake tract/bolts that suit the 272 cylinder.
The 61 white, black/grey or orange topped? Will make a difference if the 272 top will fit under the cover.

I rebuilt a white top 61 with the cheap chinese 272 kit off amazon that comes with a carb and intake.
The carb failed and the intake leaked.
The saw now has a AM 272 cylinder with the 61's intake and carb but you do need the 272 4mm intake bolts.
The muffler bolts are also different, I tapped the muffler bolt holes to 1/4 inch and used bolts I had. It would be better to buy long m5 or m6 bolts tho.
Im sure it would run better with a larger 272 cab/intake but it runs really good with the small 61 carb and it's not worth spending more money on it.
I keep reading on here that you need the 272 intake and carb, you do not, you only need 272 carb bolts.

I rebuilt a white top 61 with the cheap chinese 272 kit off amazon that comes with a carb and intake.
The saw now has a AM 272 cylinder with the 61's intake and carb but you do need the 272 4mm intake bolts.
The muffler bolts are also different, I tapped the muffler bolt holes to 1/4 inch and used bolts I had. It would be better to buy long m5 or m6 bolts tho.
Im sure it would run better with a larger 272 cab/intake but it runs really good with the small 61 carb and it's not worth spending more money on it.
I keep reading on here that you need the 272 intake and carb, you do not, you only need 272 carb bolts.

If you want to feed a 272 properly, you feed it through the bigger carb meant for that model.
If you don't- you do what you have done.
Both work to make a saw that will run.

No point in putting a new top end on a worn out old bottom end- have to sort out any issues in the lower half before shelling out for a new top half.
Generally speaking OEM, Meteor and Hyway and then a lottery of sub par quality.
You also need the larger carb and intake tract/bolts that suit the 272 cylinder.
The 61 white, black/grey or orange topped? Will make a difference if the 272 top will fit under the cover.
The 61 is an orange top. Thanks for your advice I’ve seen Hyway kits while searching parts yesterday. They are right at the price point (maybe a tad less) as Meteor. As such, I assumed they were probably a decent option as well but who knows?

Cheers

So that pretty much confirms my theory on the cheap kits. Thanks

The 61 is an orange top. Thanks for your advice I’ve seen Hyway kits while searching parts yesterday. They are right at the price point (maybe a tad less) as Meteor. As such, I assumed they were probably a decent option as well but who knows?

Cheers

Orange top- 272 cylinder should fit under just fine.

If you want to feed a 272 properly, you feed it through the bigger carb meant for that model.
If you don't- you do what you have done.
Both work to make a saw that will run.
It ran for a while with the china 272 carb and intake before it failed and I fitted the 61's carb/intake. There's not a lot of difference bucking fire wood, the bigger carb did rev a tiny bit higher with no load, but the rpm with the bar buried is the same.
I ported the cylinder too but left the exhaust at 103 so it's torquey not a screamer.

Latest posts

Back