husqvarna 61 strange sound? what should I do with it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried to put an orange brake flag on my 266 to have it all orange but it sat too close to the full wrap bar so it would engage but wouldn’t disengage 👎🏼
Looked like a beast too sadly
View attachment 1131821
Yep, looked great! Do you use the bar mount side of the handle much? Seems pretty handy for awkward cutting... My black top 61 came from auction with an orange brake flag but I saw that almost all others seemed to be black or metal. Perhaps it was later years that had them? The orange one is my favourite for saws with an orange cover I think.
20231213_141228.jpgI finally got round to changing the clutch... I ended up using the old clutch drum/sprocket/cover assembly as the new aftermarket chinese one didn't seem as good quality. I also used the old needle bearing (it looked and felt good so i just packed with grease, perhaps controversial!). Much better now, no metallic pinging noise and it has allowed me to turn the idle up. Just needs a new bar now I think... Quite a lot of movement in the chain side to side when sharpening. I think I'll maybe go for a 24inch, or maybe even 28 inch bar this time?... The biggest trees I cut are all generally pine so very soft. I'm not often struggling for length but I like the idea of not having to bend down as much when cutting big logs on the ground. Never had a bar longer than 20 inch so I am quite keen on baby steps!

Yep, looked great! Do you use the bar mount side of the handle much? Seems pretty handy for awkward cutting... My black top 61 came from auction with an orange brake flag but I saw that almost all others seemed to be black or metal. Perhaps it was later years that had them? The orange one is my favourite for saws with an orange cover I think.
View attachment 1135566I finally got round to changing the clutch... I ended up using the old clutch drum/sprocket/cover assembly as the new aftermarket chinese one didn't seem as good quality. I also used the old needle bearing (it looked and felt good so i just packed with grease, perhaps controversial!). Much better now, no metallic pinging noise and it has allowed me to turn the idle up. Just needs a new bar now I think... Quite a lot of movement in the chain side to side when sharpening. I think I'll maybe go for a 24inch, or maybe even 28 inch bar this time?... The biggest trees I cut are all generally pine so very soft. I'm not often struggling for length but I like the idea of not having to bend down as much when cutting big logs on the ground. Never had a bar longer than 20 inch so I am quite keen on baby steps!
I actually only have had a chance to use the saw once with the full wrap on cause I’ve been busy at work, which is actually where I first tried it, but it was the only side I used the whole time when I was bucking off the pile! Great for those times you just can’t cut comfortably if the clutch side wasn’t there, I found myself wishing it was there before!
The orange brake flag, is from what I’ve seen, on all my 1987 saws, could have been used in other years too, and there’s a few different designs of it I believe so just the matter of finding the right one 🤷🏻‍♂️ one day, one day 😂

FABD2A2B-322F-4251-9DD6-002D0816C78A.jpeg

Hello everybody! First time poster here. I am after some advice on a saw I have recently bought. It is an old (1990 I think) grey top husqvarna 61. I am a bit concerned about the noise it is making... What do you guys think? Sounds to me like a bearing inside isn't happy or something... It still makes the same noise when the brake is on...

sound and test cuts

The saw is about 120-130 psi compression. I haven't had the cylinder off yet to check the ring gap.

The piston and ring look to be in very good condition.

The cylinder looks slightly scored, I am not too sure if this is significant, I'll try post photos.

I don't really want to spend much more on it but would be quite keen to try a cheap 272 cylinder/carb etc on it... I don't want to re tap any new holes into the case in case this doesn't work well... I think I will replace the piston ring on the current piston before I try this.

What do you guys think? And the noise?!
I agree with the people that said piston slap and the low compression points towards lots of wear, indicating the same possibility. Go OEM parts if available.

I agree with the people that said piston slap and the low compression points towards lots of wear, indicating the same possibility. Go OEM parts if available.
Yep, on the first saw I made this thread for, the original 48mm piston was worn and pretty scored... The cylinder was pretty bad too, I think I posted pics on a previous page. Oem parts all seemed to be pretty used or expensive (or both). Since I didn't pay much for either saw and I don't 'need' the saws, I ended up using (relatively cheap, but not the cheapest chinesium) aftermarket 272 parts with a 52mm bore on both saws.

If I get any problems with either of the saws, I think I would try a new meteor piston and cylinder (if the saw survives 🤣).

Already craving another project so maybe it will be sooner than that 😈

Latest posts

Back