Husqvarna 61 rings seized

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's destroyed on intake side. The exhaust side marks look worse than they are and I think what happened the idiot that had it before me took the piston out and turned it around so the marks on intake side of piston are showing up on the exhaust side. If you look at the cylinder you can see they are in the spot just rotated 180 around.

The odd part is the piston is moving side to side parallel with the wrist pin and caused a lot of slap. It feels smooth on the crank part but I'm worried this may be a total rebuild.

Go on, Steve's small engine saloon and watch his video on piston scoring. He gives you a run down on all the different issues you can run into with pistons and what they look like! I thought it was very good information.

It's destroyed on intake side. The exhaust side marks look worse than they are and I think what happened the idiot that had it before me took the piston out and turned it around so the marks on intake side of piston are showing up on the exhaust side. If you look at the cylinder you can see they are in the spot just rotated 180 around.

The odd part is the piston is moving side to side parallel with the wrist pin and caused a lot of slap. It feels smooth on the crank part but I'm worried this may be a total rebuild.
Should be pretty easy to tell if it was rotated by the arrow on the top or the ring pin. From your pic's it looks like the major damagd is on the intake side of the piston. If had been run with the piston in backwards I'd expect it would've smashed up a ring end in the exhaust port.
Have you measured the piston & cylinder to see if they were a proper match?

Yep looks straight gassed to me……. Scored on both sides. Maybe straight gassed with a dull chain…. Perfect combo to burn up a saw!!!

To me it almost looked like the intake side has been sanded to remove scoring and scorching with a rough grit of paper. Look at the swirl return cuts half way down the piston face.

The plot thickens…..

so, since this will be a complete, case crack rebuild with 272 top end…what difference does it make?
and yes, at this point you need to pull the bearings and thoroughly inspect that crank.
I still say the guy that got the Poulan bar and chain got the better half of the deal.

To me it almost looked like the intake side has been sanded to remove scoring and scorching with a rough grit of paper. Look at the swirl return cuts half way down the piston face.
It is certainlly wierd......and zoom in on the intake side of the piston.....what the heck is going on here? The area of the skirt right over the wristpin shows no wear but moving up or toward the crown or over toward the thrust face of the skirt it looks to be worn/sanded/altered/thinned by an amount you could measure with a tape measure!!! I can't imagine plain old wear accomplished that!! I have seen open port pistons show a large amount of wear in this area but nothing like that!!

Back