husqvarna 61 strange sound? what should I do with it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With internal parts you get what you pay for. If this is just a toy you plan to repair to run a little or play with then put it away on a shelf or sell once running then use a aftermarket kit like hyway or meteor with meteor being a hair better. If you plan to use that saw for real for another 20-30 years get a oem piston or p/c kit and be done with it.
What would be the easiest way to get an oem piston and cylinder?

Ksz...

How much play does needle bearings have (the lower one on crankshaft and upper on piston pin)?
Thanks for highlighting this, I will check this when I change the piston ring and order to replace if necessary. I am hoping a new ring may increase compression and possibly reduce/eliminate slap... Perhaps a bit optimistic

Thought I should maybe give an update on the saw since I really appreciate all the advice I have been given. Thank you to everybody. I have gone the route of fitting a 272 cylinder and piston to the saw, along with bigger carb.

Here is the old and new piston:

20230820_180735.jpg

Here is the old and new cylinder:

20230820_180602.jpg

I also got rid of the base gasket, squish is now approx 0.4mm.

Here is a video of it running its first tank of fuel.

husqvarna 61 with 272 engine test cuts

Very rich mix, approx 30:1. Feels so much more powerful and I am very pleased with it. Thanks again guys 👍

Nice. Is that an OEM cylinder?
Even the chinese 272's are a massive improvement over a open port 61.
Nah, it isn't an oem cylinder... I looked at getting oem parts but they just seemed too expensive to me for this saw.

I have a couple more parts on the way from China... Will get these on then tune it (rich probably) and put the saw to work. I'll hopefully post an updated video of it eating into a bigger log 👍

I did the same thing with a weak/scored 61.
It wasnt worth fixing with oem parts but a 100 dollar 272 kit with carb is a worth while gamble. If it last a few more years it was worth it IMO.

Just an update for anybody reading this thread in future!

Gasket delete seems to have worked well, broken in nicely and good compression

20230831_203443.jpg

husqvarna 61 video

Chain is loose and still need to fit the new clutch I bought a while ago, but running pretty nice. I got a bigger 272 style air filter for it which needed the larger 272 top cover (I previously bodged the old air filter onto the newer bigger carb). Had to drill and tap a couple holes for the cover but no problems. The cover is a bit long; I originally considered trimming it but would have probably just made a mess. I think the oversized cover looks pretty good on it anyway.

Hope this is interesting and/or useful to someone! Planning on doing the same to another old white top 61 I got cheap, I'll maybe make a new thread comparing before and after cuts.

Have a nice day!

View attachment 1131621

husqvarna 61 video

Chain is loose and still need to fit the new clutch I bought a while ago, but running pretty nice. I got a bigger 272 style air filter for it which needed the larger 272 top cover (I previously bodged the old air filter onto the newer bigger carb). Had to drill and tap a couple holes for the cover but no problems. The cover is a bit long; I originally considered trimming it but would have probably just made a mess. I think the oversized cover looks pretty good on it anyway.

Hope this is interesting and/or useful to someone! Planning on doing the same to another old white top 61 I got cheap, I'll maybe make a new thread comparing before and after cuts.

Have a nice day!
Any pics of how you made the aftermarket 272 cover fit?

View attachment 1131621

husqvarna 61 video

Have a nice day!
Got any pics of your white top 61?
I got a pretty minty 1985 61, think it’s at least my fave lookin saw on the shelf, and beside my 266xp in favorites lol 😂

I got a pretty minty 1985 61, think it’s at least my fave lookin saw on the shelf, and beside my 266xp in favorites lol 😂
Have 2 61 white tops …one on the rack and one in a box ready for rebuild. Both ‘83 models 😀
great little firewood cutters!
266xp in a box as well…one of many winter projects.
thinking of making a 61/272 frankinsaw just for fun.

Have 2 61 white tops …one on the rack and one in a box ready for rebuild. Both ‘83 models 😀
great little firewood cutters!
266xp in a box as well…one of many winter projects.
thinking of making a 61/272 frankinsaw just for fun.
I just love this thing!
She’s a 1985!
29D5E70E-8531-4911-96A1-78261D29B947.jpeg

Then this 1986 61 is my 272 conversion, the first three numbers of the serial number is 626, so I call her experiment 626!
And if you don’t know what that reference is too, my wife loves the lilo and stitch movie, so it just so happened that stitch’s experiment number is 626 and his alien name is experiment 626 😂🤷🏻‍♂️
F403F905-2309-4C0C-964D-C2F1ACFDD33C.jpeg

Then this is my 1990 266xp thatbI got in a box of parts for $30, all that was missing was a brake cover! This has been my go to when I’ve been heading out to the woods lately
977A5399-A78C-4474-BA55-C341740E9628.jpeg

20231130_172510.jpg

Here she is beside the (orange top black top?) 61/272. The white top runs ok, no problems but not great. I am assuming it's a 61 but I'm not entirely sure? Certainly had a good life. Planning on doing the same again to her, I've ordered a pretty cheap 20 inch oregon bar and chain too which will be nice, I think that's a 16 on atm, very worn.

20231130_171821.jpg

Maybe a new muffler too...

Attachments

• 20231130_172510.jpg
    20231130_172510.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Any pics of how you made the aftermarket 272 cover fit?
No pics, I'll try remember to take some next time I take the cover off.

I just marked where the new holes on the 272 cover landed on the saw and drilled and tapped them, then stuck in helicoils I had lying around. I think the back right cover screw above the choke was fine and didn't need tapped. The front cover screw hole landed on a thread for a screw that holds on the starter so I just took that out first and went straight through it, then drilled and helicoiled this after. Doesn't sound great but worked fine. (Couldn't get a small helicoil in above starter screw without drilling quite a bit deeper than the helicoil itself). I wouldn't do this to someone elses saw, or even a newer saw probably, but on an old saw that belongs to me I am quite happy with it.

View attachment 1131770

Here she is beside the (orange top black top?) 61/272. The white top runs ok, no problems but not great. I am assuming it's a 61 but I'm not entirely sure? Certainly had a good life. Planning on doing the same again to her, I've ordered a pretty cheap 20 inch oregon bar and chain too which will be nice, I think that's a 16 on atm, very worn.

View attachment 1131772

Maybe a new muffler too...
I tried to put an orange brake flag on my 266 to have it all orange but it sat too close to the full wrap bar so it would engage but wouldn’t disengage 👎🏼
Looked like a beast too sadly
642849A7-7EF3-4222-ADA0-10A3C39C4E54.jpeg

Latest posts

Back