Aftermarket 272xp piston & cylinder kit issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eb20

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I purchased a 272xp pop-up piston and cylinder kit (black friday sale) for a white top 61 project. I also purchased a 272 pop-up piston only from same company , for a 272xp saw project. I am confused that the open port cylinder kit came with the non-windowed piston on the left.
The windowed piston on the right was sold individually as a pop-up 272 piston. I haven't contacted the seller because I wasn't sure if piston difference was good or bad. I haven't installed either part yet. Advice ?
Erik.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 2
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 2
You need to run the windowed piston.
It's hard to say why they sent a non windowed one, it could just be a screw up.
I put a cheap amazon 272 kit on a white top 61. Even with the thin aftermarket base gasket and regular piston it has lots of compression, it only had .015 tho of squish with no gasket.

Bottom fed or open port motors don’t need windows in the piston as the charge normally gets pushed up from the bottom. Side fed motors need holes in the piston to flow extra charge through since the gap between the slab and plating isn’t big enough to carry enough charge

Thanks guys. I don't have enough experience in this situation to argue with their customer
service about the mismatch. I was hoping someone with the knowledge would confirm that
what they sent me not correct.
Hopefully they will exchange me a windowed piston.
Thanks again.
Erik.

Thanks guys. I don't have enough experience in this situation to argue with their customer
service about the mismatch. I was hoping someone with the knowledge would confirm that
what they sent me not correct.
Hopefully they will exchange me a windowed piston.
Thanks again.
Erik.
Not sure what the full skirt piston on the left goes to but it looks like a 372 piston, not a 272

I'll check the compression heights tomorrow and report.
Thankyou.

Thanks Czed, the compression height is 1.5mm different. The port timing would be way off also.
I called store and the lady was very nice, I don't think see understood the problem. but said she would send another piston and shipping label. Hopefully it will go smoother.
Thanks to all.
Erik.
PS--they were both 52mm pistons.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Either way, curious to hear your thoughts if the big bore kit has more power than the OEM 61 piston and cylinder. They’re notorious for being turds
The cheap 272 kits run pretty good and much better than a stock 61. The timing was pretty good and the squish was tight on the two I did. A stock 272 is quite a set up from a 61 and the cheap cylinder is close to a stock 272.
The big bore 372 and 660 kits are turds, are you thinking of those?

The cheap 272 kits run pretty good and much better than a stock 61. The timing was pretty good and the squish was tight on the two I did. A stock 272 is quite a set up from a 61 and the cheap cylinder is close to a stock 272.
Either way, curious to hear your thoughts if the big bore kit has more power than the OEM 61 piston and cylinder. They’re notorious for being turds

I am with nseric here, My cheaper 272 kit I run on a 61 is better than my stock 61 for sure, not as much tourqe as my 266 though, all speed.
I also have a little work done inside the cylinder, not timing ported but ports were definitely shaped to flow the air better. Never tried it out of the box because I went straight to the grinder with it, but I can only imagine what I did helped 😂 so not really a turd kit in my experience, I know every kit could be slightly different though

You need to run the windowed piston.
It's hard to say why they sent a non windowed one, it could just be a screw up.
I put a cheap amazon 272 kit on a white top 61. Even with the thin aftermarket base gasket and regular piston it has lots of compression, it only had .015 tho of squish with no gasket.
Does that saw run the white top on it or did you have to change it to fit the taller cylinder?

Does that saw run the white top on it or did you have to change it to fit the taller cylinder?
The plug wire pokes through the top cover. You must reuse the 61 air filter and holder to keep the white top cover too.
It was an ugly beat up saw, I didnt mind cutting a little hole in the cover.

The plug wire pokes through the top cover. You must reuse the 61 air filter and holder to keep the white top cover too.
It was an ugly beat up saw, I didnt mind cutting a little hole in the cover.
Ahhh very good sir,
I was curious because the white top on my 61 is able to fit a 272 cylinder underneath, and I’ve yet to come across another one anywhere that was the same, I love the look of it and I’d love to come across another for the 272, I don’t want to take it off my 61 because she’s such a clean, all original and what I believe to be a pretty low hour saw

Most AM cylinders are turds. Meteor, Hiway, all turds ime. The ports are all smaller than oem. They’re ok if you need a saw to cut wood, just be better if guys swapping to them weren’t plagued with placebo effect from the louder muffler after they changed cylinders and did a muff mod

I am with nseric here, My cheaper 272 kit I run on a 61 is better than my stock 61 for sure, not as much tourqe as my 266 though, all speed.
I also have a little work done inside the cylinder, not timing ported but ports were definitely shaped to flow the air better. Never tried it out of the box because I went straight to the grinder with it, but I can only imagine what I did helped 😂 so not really a turd kit in my experience, I know every kit could be slightly different though
You said it didn’t have the torque of your 266 and that you did some work that you’re sure had to have helped it. So it’s not as strong as your 266. Was it as strong as your 61 before you “helped” it? You’re kinda making my point

You said it didn’t have the torque of your 266 and that you did some work that you’re sure had to have helped it. So it’s not as strong as your 266. Was it as strong as your 61 before you “helped” it? You’re kinda making my point
No, it doesn’t have the tourqe of my 266, but it will cut the same piece of wood faster than it for sure, and the 61 too . I’m also pretty confident that it would have before I did any grinding too, all I did was shaved a couple sharp corners down 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’d love to do another now for comparison 🤔
Sure the 61 has torque but it’s slow,
now, yes I prefer my 266 with it’s nice torque and faster cut speed than the 61, but if i can the same piece of wood in less time with a bit less torque I’d still consider that a strong saw in my book hahah, just goin off what I’ve felt and what I know, then again, what do I really know, I’ve only worked on and owned my own saws for 8 months, so there’s much to still learn, cut for many years tho, but not with my own equipment

Most AM cylinders are turds. Meteor, Hiway, all turds ime. The ports are all smaller than oem. They’re ok if you need a saw to cut wood, just be better if guys swapping to them weren’t plagued with placebo effect from the louder muffler after they changed cylinders and did a muff mod
The dirt cheap AM 272 cylinder makes more power than a 61 cylinder, with a little grinding it makes a lot more power than a 61, it's not a placebo at all.
We're talking about a cheap upgrade to a worn out 61, not comparing a AM 272 cylinder to a OEM 272, I know the OEM cylinder is better but im not buying one to put on a clapped out 61 that's barely worth fixing.

Good news, the replacement piston arrived yesterday. I'll them an A+ for customer service.
The saw is on back burner for now, but i'll report on the outcome when it done.
Thanks again for all the info.
Erik.

Latest posts

Back