Husky 372XP "Big Bore" Kit Build Piston Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BING38RT

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,
I recently bought one of those husky 372 XP kits of the internet that I'm trying to build. I didn't like the shape or the quality of the head that came with it so I bought a Hyway Big Bore Kit that came with the pop-up piston ( 52mm ).

Now after reading a bunch, doing research, and talking to others I realize that using a pop-up piston isn't a good idea for the longevity of the saw especially if I were to have it ported.

I'd like to put a meteor piston in it but it doesn't seem like meteor makes a 52 mm Big Bore piston specifically for the 372XP "Big Bores", they do however make one for the 272. I was wondering can I use the 272 piston from meteor in my 372XP ?? Or am I stuck having to buy a 52 mm generic non pop up hyway or other aftermarket brand piston ??

If anybody knows if this would work I would appreciate your input or if there's another piston that's 52 mm that's made by meteor that would fit I would love to know.

Thank you in advance for all your help. I'm new to pro saw building as I've mainly only built clamshells.

The problem with those kits isn't the piston it's the kit as a whole. The ports & timings are far from optimal & you can only remidy them so much. Generally speaking a well ported big bore kit will perform about the same as the standard OEM C&P

The problem with those kits isn't the piston it's the kit as a whole. The ports & timings are far from optimal & you can only remidy them so much. Generally speaking a well ported big bore kit will perform about the same as the standard OEM C&P
****. So should I just bail on it then ? I already have 6 saws, a MS 250, 3x MS 390s, a MS 391 and a Husqvarna 460 Rancher. I just wanted a 70cc plus saw to use for bigger trees and possibly milling.

I want a 440 or 460 maybe even a Holzfforma G660 but I'm not sure about that brand.

****. So should I just bail on it then ? I already have 6 saws, a MS 250, 3x MS 390s, a MS 391 and a Husqvarna 460 Rancher. I just wanted a 70cc plus saw to use for bigger trees and possibly milling.

I want a 440 or 460 maybe even a Holzfforma G660 but I'm not sure about that brand.
Do you have a lathe?

Do you have a lathe?
Yea it's an old one from the farm over at my uncle's house bc I don't have the room here and it weights a ton. .

My thing is I don't want that crappy Hyway pop-up piston in it because I purchased an aftermarket Nikasil big bore head so I'd need a 52mm piston.

I wonder if the windowed one Meteor makes for a Husqvarna 272 will work on the kit I got ? 🤔

Yea it's an old one from the farm over at my uncle's house bc I don't have the room here and it weights a ton. .

My thing is I don't want that crappy Hyway pop-up piston in it because I purchased an aftermarket Nikasil big bore head so I'd need a 52mm piston.

I wonder if the windowed one Meteor makes for a Husqvarna 272 will work on the kit I got ? 🤔
20231012_102955.jpg20231012_103047.jpg20231013_113156.jpg20231013_113548.jpg20231013_113548.jpg20231012_115900.jpg20231003_105046.jpg

The 272 piston is higher then the 372 so you can make a good pop up if you have a lathe. I made a pop up and full circle crank for my race saw. I used the dukes cylinder. But a hyway is ok. I jb weld the intake, so its open at 76 degrese btd center.

It wasn't the best choice to grab a big bore kit, but the saw will run just fine with the pop up piston. I wouldn't be worried about longevity either. It's either going to work, or blow up. Same as anything else.
Thanks guys I ended up sending it out to a guy who builds these kits professionally, I had him get rid of the big bore kit and use the stock oem head. He ported and polished it for me, added a real Walbro Carb and machined the head down on a lathe for me because my original squish with the base gasket was .035 and now with the gasket it's .022.

Back