Using a Big Bore 52mm MS440 Piston in MS460?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

centannim055

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a couple projects I'm working on. I have a 460 on the shelf (piston I lost when removing) and I have a spare 52mm 440 big bore piston. Are there any problems or concerns with using a 52mm big bore MS440 piston in an MS460? The only thing I can think of is if the piston has a different height which would affect the intake timing.

Thoughts?

Check and measure your stuff. But 44 shows 1mm shorter pin to crown height compared to 46.
Ok thank you very much! Last year someone explained to me why the 52mm 440 big bore wouldn't work in a 460, and I knew it was something involving the size. I did manage to dig up old emails and he told me that the 52mm 440 has a shorter height from the crown to the bottom of the skirt which would affect the intake timing.

When you say "1mm shorter pin to crown height" are you referring to the distance from the center of the wrist pin to the crown?

When you say "1mm shorter pin to crown height" are you referring to the distance from the center of the wrist pin to the crown?
Dont know where the factory's measured from. But yep pin to crown. Just what the specs for pistons show.

If I do one myself I check top of where pin goes through piston to crown.

Latest posts

Back