Guys, don't get complacent out there!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I nearly bought the farm Saturday afternoon while out testing out the 390XP. I've debated back and forth whether or not to share this. Hopefully, someone can learn from my mistakes.

First of all, I'm FAR from a professional. What frustrates me most, is that I know how to do this right. I know all the mistakes I made and how to avoid them. Yes, it's rather embarrasing.

Anyway, here's what happened. I was out videoing the 390XP for you guys. I was alone. I decided to drop about a 30" DBH tree. Why not go ahead and video that too? I've dropped trees twice this big, no biggie. Right there's where I started going wrong. Every tree is a biggie. I had no backup saw, no wedges, no helmet............. Get the picture? Complacent and careless. I know! I slapped a nice notch in there, back barred the first side of the back cut, walked around and finished the other side. She sat back on me! I had misread the lean. I took the power head off the 28" Oregon Reduced Weight bar. Not a deal at all had I used wedges like I normally would.

Now I had to run home and grab another bar, a 32" Oregon Reduced Weight this time. This time I've got wedges and get them in the cut as soon as I have room. This is no big deal, right? Cut, drive wedges, pull out stuck bar. Then the 32" bar gets stuck. What I didn't yet realize was that I had cut through the hinge on the far side. So I'm driving wedges to push it over. No big deal, that's what wedges are for. Until.....she started falling 90###° to where I intended. I realize what's happening. Instead of stepping back, I hang onto the handle of the saw to pull it free as soon as the tree releases it. I'm standing clear behind the tree. Instead, the saw is yanked from my hand and SMACK.............everything goes black. As the tree fell, it took the top out of another tree. That fell clear. What got me was a limb on the tree I was falling hit the same tree now missing it's top, folding a branch back towards me. So, this branch isn't just falling, it's being levered and accellerated towards me. Of course, I don't know this until it hits me. I was too busy trying to save my saw and wasn't looking up, as I know to do. Had I simply stepped back, none of this would have happened.

The branch that hit me forked into two. I was hit by both, driving my forehead into the stump twice. Also, I had a heavy leather and fleece lined hat on. Had I not, the split on the back of my head would have been much worse.

I didn't know that I had been knocked unconsious until studying the video. Immediately after the impact, I reached for the back of my head with my left hand. You can then see my left hand fall limp, and then I collapse to my side and back. I laid there for 20 seconds before moving. I thought I had simply been knocked to the ground and got up almost immediately. It really shook me up to realize what had really happened.

I'm very fortunate to have not been either killed, or much more seriously injured. They did a CAT scan of my head, which was ok. They also x-rayed my left thumb, which I sprained. I smashed two finger tips, and have a sore jaw. I have 4 staples in the back of my head.

I know I deserve all of the scolding you guys can give me, but I know the mistakes I made. That's what makes this so bad, and embarrasing. Hopefully, someone will learn something from my mistakes and avoid a serious accident. Stay safe out there guys! Don't drop trees alone, study your tree carefully, NEVER cut through your hinge, always have wedges, always have a backup saw and/or bar, always look up, and never try to save a saw! There's a reason falling limbs are called widow makers!

IMG8587-M.jpg

IMG8585-M.jpg

This afternoon. It looks like blood from the knot is draining into my eyelid.
IMG8601-M.jpg

IMG8600-M.jpg

IMG8597-M.jpg

Last edited:
Geez Brad, you were standing in front of the fan when the #### hit it this time, eh?

Glad you're doing alright.

Don't be surprised if you start finding butter and milk in the cupboard and books in the fridge... that'll happen with a concussion.

Hope nothing else is wrong with you, these kinds of incidents can hide injuries that come back to haunt ya.

Just say you got in a fight with an angry tree that pissed itself when it heard and felt the Husky biting into it...

Count yourself very lucky you escaped a really serious injury or even worse,death. We all do this stuff and the chances are good that we will get injured sometime. You know the risks but take your chances, at least you know what you should have done and admit it. Go forth and from now on practice the safer route. We had another member who has been a lifetime feller get injured out in Northern B.C. last winter,he knew better but took his chances, got hit a lot harder but survived and today is much more cautious. Hope you heal quickly and I know you have learned a valuable lesson from this.

Last edited:
first of all i wanna say i'm very happy to hear your ok..fairly new to this site but i follow many of your post and your video's..I had a co-worker get hit with a widow maker and he landed throat down on his spinning chain..he lived..end of the day not paying as close attention as he should have been...It happens and all we can hope for is we live and learn..anyways keep up the good work and hope all is well

That tree fell the way it was leaning. You really think even if you hadn't cut the hinge you could make it fall that far from the direction of lean?

I'm glad you were able to write about your mistakes. Let this be a lesson to everyone that complacency has no place when running a saw or cutting wood. It could have been much worse.

Nick

That tree fell the way it was leaning. You really think even if you hadn't cut the hinge you could make it fall that far from the direction of lean?

I somehow doubt you've ever cut a tree down... hell, a Christmas tree gathered by a little four year old would probably have a better looking stump than yours...

Yes, it is possible to swing that tree against its lean. Loggers have used controlled dutchman cuts...

Though for Brad, he said he misread the lean. So he was intending to drop that tree in the direction it was leaning.

Ow. I have faithfully worn my forestry helmet when dropping trees since my wife bought it for me. I think I will continue to do so! Mistakes are so much easier to see in hindsight - glad you were not hurt worse.

I somehow doubt you've ever cut a tree down... hell, a Christmas tree gathered by a little four year old would probably have a better looking stump than yours...

Yes, it is possible to swing that tree against its lean. Loggers have used controlled dutchman cuts...

Though for Brad, he said he misread the lean. So he was intending to drop that tree in the direction it was leaning.
How do you "misread" that much lean? Goes way to the right, and it's not a small tree. Cut a lot of trees down, some against a "minor" lean, but sure as hell never tried to fall one against a lean that drastic. Somehow I doubt you've cut much. But that's beside the point, the question is still valid.

Brad, first of all, thankful to hear you're injuries were not worse. Secondly, thanks for posting. Sharing accidents like this are what can help save someone else from an even worse fate later.

Dan

How do you "misread" that much lean? Goes way to the right, and it's not a small tree. Cut a lot of trees down, some against a "minor" lean, but sure as hell never tried to fall one against a lean that drastic. Somehow I doubt you've cut much. But that's beside the point, the question is still valid.

I've probably cut a hell of a lot more firewood than you have. But pissing match aside, death had an evil plan and tried to get Brad today...

You just keep stirring the pot and smelling up the shop there spacie... RandyMac will probably be around with the tire iron somewhat soon. We know you like it when he gets the tire iron out...

Given all the mistakes Brad said he made, things were just off when he was cutting that tree down. That happens sometimes, plain and simple. Sometimes your brain needs an off day. On those days it is best to take an off day... don't ask me how I know.

I don't think I would have had any trouble getting it to go where I wanted. But don't get in a fuss over it. That's not the point of this thread.
I thought the point was to learn from your mistake, in your words? Guess I'm not very sympathetic for stupidity, and you already admitted you were stupid and deserve whatever you've got coming. What else do you want from me? I'm trying to be constructive here.

Back