Hauling boardfoot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSW

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
How many boardfoot have you hauled behind a full size pickup? Log form.

Or would you. Flat roads, semi regular basis.

To be clear though, logs behind a pick up, usually meant hand loading, or using the gyppo yarder mk II, neither was fun, but fer sure entertaining, winching logs onto a trailer just ****ing sucks. (the gyppo yarder could at least lift em and worked good once it was set up). Couple that with 1000 bf of logs is ****ing heavy, and is guaranteed to shorten the life of a pickup truck.

the Equipment trailer I've par-buckled em on and used the excavator, I suggest using an excavator. Trailer has bunks for it now, and can get a pretty good whack of logs on it, but its still not efficient... mills just don't pay enough for short logs to make it worth while, out here anyway...

So with an equipment trailer getting 1000-1500 bf it still makes more sense for your operation to have them hauled by somebody else?

According to these weight charts, a long gooseneck with stakes full of Midwest hardwood timber would overload with weight before you ran out of space. For a 3/4 ton truck.

What's a ballpark price for trucking? They hold 5k or so? Plenty of advantages to that if the price is bearable, no time lost, upkeep, regulations,etc....

figure on a whole day shot to take a load in, that is worth about 1/4 what you would get on a self loader, or straight truck.

$250-350 for each load of logs to the truck, depending on distance etc.

As for a goose neck behind a 3/4 ton, say they are legal to 16k ish, well the truck is only rated to 16k, including truck and trailer which add up to roughly 10,000# so you are only going to get about 6000# legally and safely on that trailer (hypothetical numbers here), and yes I've seen folks pull 16000# dozers with a goose neck and a dually truck, were they legal? maybe, were they safe **** no. bTW your argument of my truck has 700hp and 9000ft lbs of torque means **** all to the fact your brakes are still only rated to stop 16000lbs... get it?

Now figure on that board foot you are getting does not account for any waste, so saw kerf, bark, slabs etc. so go ahead and double the effective weight for every bf you get paid for.

3.42# per bf is a decent number to go with (average from the machinery handbook), 5000 bf would be 34200# yer truck rated for that?

To put this in real world perspective, the log trucks I use are rated for 88000 or 96000 depending on the truck and log lengths, they weigh in at around 40000, so they can get 48k or 56k pounds of logs, I have only seen a scale check over 5000 bf once, generally range from 3500 to 4500 bf, Keep in mind these are long logs, so add in taper across 36' or so... Taper I don't get paid for.

And to bring this back to reality, a pick up truck rated for 16000lbs towing capacity, with truck and trailer combined, a total payload of approximately 6000 is equal to right around 877 bf, at current Doug Fir prices (750 per mbf)...$657.00 of which you lost $100 in fuel, half to the owner... you get $278.50 for a long days work...

intra state if you stay in your state, inter if you travel state to state, intra you don't need a medical card...

States may differ but here in Warshingtion, a CDL is required if your COMBINED rating is over 26000, so if the truck is rated for 16000 and the trailer is rated fro 16000, then you are sitting at a rating of 32000, and would need a CDL A without air brakes at a minimum, regardless of how much weight you can actually carry or actually are carrying.

Then they went and got all screwy with the CDL licenses too, so if you don't take the test in a truck with a 5th wheel, and a manual Trans, then you can not legally drive a truck with a manual or 5th wheel, and to be allowed to you would then need to retake the skills test in a truck with either or both, same with the air brakes end of things

According to the charts I've seen they are giving you the weight in log form for what you should get paid at the mill. That's how I'm reading it at least.

Beech was 12,xxx pounds and oak was 14,xxx for 1000 board foot. Maple was around 10,000 and that's the lightest thing I cut regularly. That's quite a bit of weight.

Most single axle log trucks I've seen around here wouldn't be that much of a step up.

Yup...

To be fair, a single axle medium duty truck will hold up to the abuse a damn sight better then a pickup truck, and they can be had for cheaper then a goose neck trailer.

Get one with hydro-vac brakes and license it for under 26k won't even need a CDL... yet...

My trucker gets 4500bf on most times. That's at 98k total. In oak we are closer to the 4mbf range per load. Soft maple/basswood definitely 5mbf. Hard maple/ash probably at that 4500. Really depends on time of year and ground too. There's times we get into some really heavy hard maple or red oak. You can just feel it when you pick em up.

Yup...

To be fair, a single axle medium duty truck will hold up to the abuse a damn sight better then a pickup truck, and they can be had for cheaper then a goose neck trailer.

Get one with hydro-vac brakes and license it for under 26k won't even need a CDL... yet...
Why would you want hydro brakes?

No air brakes, no CDL, though under 26k and no stickers you can get away with air brakes, unless they notice you are hauling logs... then its not exactly not for hire is it, and all the sudden you need DOT# CC# Insurance and at least a CDL B

In which case you might as well license it for 36k and put a decent load on it.

I live in a pretty relaxed state, on the way into work this morning I saw a log truck pulled over and a chubby man in a blue suit with a clip board walking around it.

Not something I see everyday and I pass log trucks every day but still nice to get an eye opener before it happens to you.

No doubt.

The real cherry on top is nothing stuck out on the truck, at least from a drive by.

No air brakes, no CDL, though under 26k and no stickers you can get away with air brakes, unless they notice you are hauling logs... then its not exactly not for hire is it, and all the sudden you need DOT# CC# Insurance and at least a CDL B

In which case you might as well license it for 36k and put a decent load on it.

Air brakes or no air brakes makes no difference as far as needing or not needing a CDL.

Back