Hauling firewood on a landscape utility trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, and yeah, I may end up doing that. It was a fluid process, making changes as I went. Started out with the hinges on the inside and then flipped them; honestly don't remember why now.

Probably to hold the center in line when installed. Just a guess.

That will work just fine, though I would get rid of the hinges.

Without the hinge he would have to attach the middle ends to the trailer as there are only two stake stubs per side.

Ron

As a flat bed trailer mine has a little heavier frame than most landscape trailers sold around here that count on the upper rail for additional strength. I bought a flat bed so I could para-buckle logs over the side. Fenders are removable. Anyways I used hog panels for my sides. It is easy to overload a trailer of this size. It is a shame that the red oak below went to firewood instead of lumber. Ron

View attachment 678796
Looks like you might be getting close to your trailers gvw. Good thing oak is not heavy dense wood.

Probably to hold the center in line when installed. Just a guess.

Without the hinge he would have to attach the middle ends to the trailer as there are only two stake stubs per side.

Ron

It's just temporary, so why do a heavy install, the firewood will hold the plywood in place. For years I just used plywood without fastening it to the trailer at all.

It's just temporary, so why do a heavy install, the firewood will hold the plywood in place. For years I just used plywood without fastening it to the trailer at all.

It's really not heavier other than carrying two pieces of wood away rather than one at a time. The hinges are holding everything in place nicely, no reason to take them out now.

Looks like you might be getting close to your trailers gvw. Good thing oak is not heavy dense wood.

Showing a potential overload while having room leftover is the reason I picked this picture. Some landscape trailers of the same size have an even lower GVW.

This load was hauled at low speed for a couple of miles only.

Ron

I have a 16' landscape utility trailer and I'm looking at building some short walls for it so I can use it to haul firewood. They need to be fairly easily removable as for most of my uses I wouldn't want them on it.
You said you wanted it "'easily removable". Bolting it on is not what I would call "easily removable" Just going by what you said.

You said you wanted it "'easily removable". Bolting it on is not what I would call "easily removable" Just going by what you said.

If you're still referring to the hinges, they aren't bolted to the trailer in any way. They're connecting the sheets of plywood on the sides to each other, just to keep things held together and then they can just fold up.

I originally had considered bolting the plywood on through the uprights, but the small pieces of 2x4 bolted to the plywood eliminated the need for that. To install, just unfold a side, move it into position, and drop those pieces of 2x4 into the stake pockets. To remove, lift one end up out of the stake pocket, lift the other end out, and fold the whole thing up. No tools required.

We essentially ruined the suspension on our 16’ landscape trailer by hauling massive loads out of our fields when we were splitting. Basically filled it with the elevator until no more would stay on.

We were only hauling it through the field to our barns, would never think of running it down the road loaded like that.

Point is, we ruined the trailer by doing this. Some of these loads on this thread I’ve seen pics of are going to do the same.

We’ve since purchased a new 18’ deckover with tandem #5200 axles that handles the loads just fine and does it in a safe manner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not heavy dense wood? According to weight charts, oak is one of the heaviest woods out there. You must have never worked up post oak or live oak then.
Are you saying those logs are super heavy and it's possible the trailer in the photo is grossly overloaded? Huh?

Yes, my trailer is overloaded. Wood alone is somewhere between 10,000 to 11,000#; the large short piece is around 2100# though it is only 4' long. That is why I choose the picture to post. A trailer this size has much greater volume capacity than weight capacity. I see overloaded landscape trailers all the time probably because folks don't know how much wood weighs so they fill up the trailer. High sides though great for handling bad tosses and bounces further the illusion that you can haul more.

This load was one of those illusions. I didn't realize how much weigh I had until someone pointed it out to me when I originally posted this picture several years ago. I rarely haul wood, the trailer is used primarily to haul my little firewood tractor - under 4000#; others do the firewood hauling.

Ron

I live near a land fill and a mulch yard and I see overloaded trailers every day. So much so most of them you can tell are or have been overloaded at some point because the wheels are splayed at a 25 degree angle.

Put the walls to use yesterday. Worked great. They slid right in. Kept everything contained. Truck and trailer pulled great. Applied some deck stain sealer, but only one coat. They got rained on quite a bit yesterday and this morning. Just got the trailer unloaded an hour or so ago, going to be taking them off shortly. Hopefully they don't warp.

EhqX4YH.jpg

bcwiTpa.jpg

The tree I got the wood from:

QGrbZgp.jpg

After:

sMCxRll.jpg

Latest posts

Back