Have a look at this rim

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cj genever

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Got a used 372 last week. The PO must have not thought much of sprocket, chain and bar maintenance. The bar had a wicked burr to it. The chain Roberts are completely done. The rim was so worn the dl fig holes into the drum! Wow

Attachments

• 20150620_172525.jpg
    20150620_172525.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 454
  • 20150620_172546.jpg
    20150620_172546.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 410
Lol! I didn't even know those were a maintenance item til I found this site.
How much wear is considered acceptable?

Got a used 372 last week. The PO must have not thought much of sprocket, chain and bar maintenance. The bar had a wicked burr to it. The chain Roberts are completely done. The rim was so worn the dl fig holes into the drum! Wow
Replace it immediately , or as soon as possible!
Rim sprockets are very affordable and easy to come by.
The cast quality of Oregon and Carlton sprockets seem similar enough , with Carlton sprockets showing some minor visual cast defects that should not affect the sprockets durability/functionality.
Carlton sprockets are not much cheaper then Oregon (PowerMate) ones , so if You want "to be sure" get a Oregon sprocket.

That sprocket does not have "wear-depth indicators" , as such I dare assume it is the saws original sprocket.

Lol! I didn't even know those were a maintenance item til I found this site.
How much wear is considered acceptable?
Replacement Oregon rim sprockets feature "wear-depth indicators" to help identify a worn sprocket , or at least all those that I purchased thus far!
Also , my Sachs-Dolmar 105 manual states (spur) sprocket replacement when wear reaches 0.2mm (~.0048") of dept.
"Rule of thumb" replacement recommendation for my Dolmar PS-6400/7900 says every 2 chains or sooner.

Some of my sprockets:

- Original Dolmar/Oregon "PowerMate" rim sprocket of my Dolmar PS-6400, has worn out 2 chains , radially ported but features no "wear-depth indicators" , 7 tooth , 3/8":
DSC00468.JPG

- Replacement Oregon "PowerMate" rim sprocket , has worn out 1 chain , radially ported & features "wear-depth indicators" , 7 tooth , 3/8":
DSC00478.JPG DSC00481.JPG

- New Oregon "PowerMate" rim sprocket featuring radial ports & "wear-depth indicators" , 7 tooth , 3/8":
DSC00520.JPG

- New Carlton rim sprocket , features radial ports but no "wear-depth indicators" , 7 tooth , 3/8":
DSC00511.JPG

- As new Carlton rim sprocket , features no radial ports nor "wear-depth indicators" but has a "windowed" design , 8 tooth , 3/8":
DSC00503.JPG DSC00505.JPG DSC00506.JPG DSC00509.JPG

My Dolmar PS-7900's original 7 tooth rim sprocket and its accompanying original first now worn chain have left small dimples in the drums spline (just noticed it the other day)!
That never happened on my PS-6400 even after wearing out 2 chains on 1 sprocket.
I guess the higher power of the saw allowed for more aggressive usage of the saw (read dogging the saw through a cut rather then allowing self-feeding) and thus caused heavier wear off the sprocket and the drive links touching the drums spline at the end of the sprockets & chains life.

While I am at it , here is an example of a sprocket that I feel uncomfortable to run on my saws:

Ratioparts "Archer" replacement rim sprocket , part number 33-200 , 7 tooth , 3/8" , no radial ports nor wear-depth indicators but features a windowed design.

When I put this sprocket on my Dolmar PS-6400 , with a new Dolmar chain , it was turning anything BUT smooth.
Upon inspection I noticed that the sprockets splines (teeth) are thicker then on the Oregon sprockets causing the chains drive links to ride ON the sprockets teeth rather then between them.
Also , the "Archer" sprocket is not showing any after cast processing/machining marks as the Oregon & Carlton ones do and is slightly elliptic/out of roundness.

The most annoying thing with this sprockets purchase was that it cost almost exactly the same as previously purchased Oregon sprockets did and I wasn't notified that I will be receiving a third party replacement part even though I ordered by Dolmar part number.
This sprocket was the first slip of my years long , now former , Dolmar dealer. :(

DSC00525.JPG DSC00526.JPG DSC00527.JPG DSC00529.JPG DSC00534.JPG

Sprockets are cheap, I always have extras in different size and pin configuration laying around. That one you've got is pretty bad.

WDE_1978, did you say you gave up on a longtime dealer after he ordered you the wrong sprocket? Tough crowd.

Sprockets are cheap, I always have extras in different size and pin configuration laying around. That one you've got is pretty bad.

...did you say you gave up on a longtime dealer after he ordered you the wrong sprocket? Tough crowd.

Which one do You find bad , the Ratioparts "Archer" sprocket?
I agree!
That is the first and only sprocket I have seen a chain doesn't fit into all around. :eek:

And NO , I didn't give up my otherwise very competent dealer just because of a cheap rim sprocket - I am not that much of an a$$ (I think)!
I didn't even try to return it , I just put it aside and used a spare Oregon "PowerMate" sprocket that I had.

They lost their Dolmar dealership at the turn of this year as Croatia entered the Europe Union , thus they no longer stock Dolmar parts.
They were the main Croatian importer for anything Dolmar/Makita related and offered excellent support as far as I was concerned.
At times they were a bit slow on E-mail reply's and somewhat scarce on requested parts information so I occasionally opted to give them a call and talk directly to them.
It is a true shame , I got really used to their services! :(

While I am at it , here is an example of a sprocket that I feel uncomfortable to run on my saws:

Ratioparts "Archer" replacement rim sprocket , part number 33-200 , 7 tooth , 3/8" , no radial ports nor wear-depth indicators but features a windowed design.

When I put this sprocket on my Dolmar PS-6400 , with a new Dolmar chain , it was turning anything BUT smooth.
Upon inspection I noticed that the sprockets splines (teeth) are thicker then on the Oregon sprockets causing the chains drive links to ride ON the sprockets teeth rather then between them.
Also , the "Archer" sprocket is not showing any after cast processing/machining marks as the Oregon & Carlton ones do and is slightly elliptic/out of roundness.

The most annoying thing with this sprockets purchase was that it cost almost exactly the same as previously purchased Oregon sprockets did and I wasn't notified that I will be receiving a third party replacement part even though I ordered by Dolmar part number.
This sprocket was the first slip of my years long , now former , Dolmar dealer. :(

View attachment 431772 View attachment 431773 View attachment 431774 View attachment 431775 View attachment 431776
Any chance you have some 3/8lp to try on that sprocket?

I've got a feeling you just found a unicorn. Might make some milling guys very happy.

Any chance you have some 3/8lp to try on that sprocket?

I've got a feeling you just found a unicorn. Might make some milling guys very happy.
Yes , as a matter of fact I happen to have 3/8" LowProfile chains for my Sachs-Dolmar 105 - never thought to try put it on as it wouldn't do me any benefit as the Sachs-Dolmar 105 features a spur sprocket! ;)

Why is a 3/8" rim sprocket combined with a 3/8" LP chain of interest? :confused:

I'll go outside and give it a test fitting , will be back in a few minutes.

Test fitting chains on my Ratioparts "Archer" 3/8" 7 tooth rim sprocket
Ratioparts part number 33-200

New Dolmar 3/8" chain , no fit:
DSC00574.JPG DSC00575.JPG

Worn Dolmar 3/8" chain , not quite yet fit:
DSC00576.JPG DSC00578.JPG

New Dolmar 3/8" LowProfile chain , snug fit : :)
DSC00579.JPG DSC00580.JPG DSC00581.JPG DSC00586.JPG

Good call by @weedkilla ! :clap:

And why would this be of interest to guys that mill?
So they can use 3/8" LowProfile chains on their big saws utilizing the narrower kerf of the low profile chain , thus loosing lesser wood on the cuts?

You could use them for a hole in your earlobe.
6156c730f7f4b53c983b5b382e818333.jpg

I have a whole collection of them.View attachment 431826

john, i have this suspicion that you actually use your saws. i hope you realize that this is shunned by the PSP's of the forum LOL :laugh: i've seen sprockets much worse then the OP's. i've actually had saws brought to me because of issues to do with sprockets that had separated in 2 or more pieces, chains that looked like the drivelinks had been filed down because of how long they had been riding on the drum. the OP's certainly should have been replaced a bit ago but some culls have been known to run them even longer LOL.

Thanks for doing that @WDE-1978 that was my last post before going to bed.
I've emailed the Australian archer importer to try and get some more info and shared this thread on the milling forum.
I spent a few years (hell, nearly 10) pruning grapes with a Croat and in the cold and rain he would tell tales of his teenage years on the Adriatic, those stories of girls and sunshine, a few Croatian swear words, and a taste for slivovitz is about all that remains from those years!

Back