Help me identify this wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuckNasty

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I scored some free wood at a construction site that has recently been cleared. I got a truckload and there’s a lot more to be had if I go back... I am not sure what kind of wood it is. There are two types of wood I got.... The wood in the first picture I have no clue what species it is, it has very rough bark that is orange below the surface, and very light wood with a an almost greenish tint. The wood in the second picture I think is black cherry. Any of you tree experts know? I am in Rhode Island.

Attachments

• 010E6432-292A-4601-B31A-6DCA516F8C71.jpeg
    010E6432-292A-4601-B31A-6DCA516F8C71.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 76
  • 61EB1422-4A86-489D-93F5-870F1B285AFE.jpeg
    61EB1422-4A86-489D-93F5-870F1B285AFE.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 76
  • F8C15DDB-CEAF-4D1F-8351-CCBA969102AC.jpeg
    F8C15DDB-CEAF-4D1F-8351-CCBA969102AC.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 72
I agree that the 1st pic looks like sassafras. Break off a piece of bark and smell it. Even several year old bark will still smell like root beer.

The second pic looks like maybe box elder to me.

Edit: Just looked at the pieces in the truck, and zoomed in on it. The second pic is cherry, if that's what is the upright piece on the left side of the truck. The different perspective in that pic shows the plate like bark of cherry.

I agree that the 1st pic looks like sassafras. Break off a piece of bark and smell it. Even several year old bark will still smell like root beer.

The second pic looks like maybe box elder to me.

Edit: Just looked at the pieces in the truck, and zoomed in on it. The second pic is cherry, if that's what is the upright piece on the left side of the truck. The different perspective in that pic shows the plate like bark of cherry.
Yes I was pretty sure that the other wood was black cherry. We have tons of it around here. The sassafras had me stumped though.... haha. I know what the leaves look like but never really saw a mature tree like this...most of the ones I see in the woods are young saplings.... this one has a 24” trunk.

The sassafras had me stumped though.... haha. I know what the leaves look like but never really saw a mature tree like this...most of the ones I see in the woods are young saplings.... this one has a 24” trunk.

Sassafras grows pretty big around here, especially in the sandy loam soils of the ancient beach areas of Lake Erie(called the Oak Openings area). Some of the largest in the state(including the state champion) used to be in my county(and still are). A new champion was found just east of me a few years ago. DBH of the champion and of the next three are 60-65"! A blowdown from a neighbors back yard a few years ago was 28"...

One of my customers who always requests short chunks for his potbelly stove has decided not to buy any more this year, I collected and split two cords for him -- all good ash, oak, maple, mulberry, and locust. So, I'm burning them in my Federal Airtight 288 by placing some of them in the firebox end on end. The 288 can handle 25" logs.

I sometimes criss-cross (crib) stack the logs in the firebox for a really hot fire. So, his lost sales has been transformed into my gain.

One of my customers who always requests short chunks for his potbelly stove has decided not to buy any more this year, I collected and split two cords for him -- all good ash, oak, maple, mulberry, and locust. So, I'm burning them in my Federal Airtight 288 by placing some of them in the firebox end on end. The 288 can handle 25" logs.

I sometimes criss-cross (crib) stack the logs in the firebox for a really hot fire. So, his lost sales has been transformed into my gain.
Yes it’s hard to find short fire wood for sale. It’s much easier to just cut logs myself to the length I need and split it... plenty of free wood to be had around here.

Back