X-torq muffler mod question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exophysical

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently did my first muffler mod on a Husqvarna 345, simply using a die grinder to open up the stock port. It made the saw snappier, so next up is a 365xt that will be getting the transfer cap mod as well. My question is, on an un-ported 365xt should I just open up the stock muffler port, or would opening the muffler even more be of any noticeable benefit?

I would add another deflector or pipe on the upper right hand corner. Modifying the original hole leads to added heat blowing on the cover, brake handle, and reflecting off of the log and can get hot on the hands

I would add another deflector or pipe on the upper right hand corner. Modifying the original hole leads to added heat blowing on the cover, brake handle, and reflecting off of the log and can get hot on the hands

So you would be doing the side port instead of opening the original, or doing both? Was thinking of doing fish gills on top right corner, I think there's enough room to do them on the left side as well if needed.

So you would be doing the side port instead of opening the original, or doing both? Was thinking of doing fish gills on top right corner, I think there's enough room to do them on the left side as well if needed.
He is saying to add another port that does not heat damage the saw or the users hands, on stock saws I double the outlet size or add a second identical port.

I would leave the original top port alone. Too many of them get opened up where the deflector gets bent upward and they burn the top cover and brake handle

I would leave the original top port alone. Too many of them get opened up where the deflector gets bent upward and they burn the top cover and brake handle

Alright, thanks. Just wondering, in the case of gill slits would you recommend doing both sides or just the right side? I'd imagine they wont flow quite as well as welding a pipe in, but perhaps I'm wrong on that.

Alright, thanks for the help guys. I ground out the transfer caps, put a couple gill slits on the right side of the muffler, and pulled the restrictor caps off the carb so I could re-tune properly. I've held off on doing the 372 conversion for over a decade because there seems to be some argument over whether the transfer mod on its own makes any noticeable difference. I cant make any statement on that, but doing these three things together definitely improved the throttle response quite noticeably. Cant wait to do some cutting with it!

Back