Hino 195 vs Ford F-550 - Hooklift build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F-550 or Hino 195 for hook lift setup?

• F-550

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Hino 195

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

DowneyTree

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking into getting a bin truck built, likely with a Hiab Multilift XR5 or XR7 system. The plan would be to have an aluminum chipper body made and pull a Vermeer BC1500 most of the time, and also run some bins and a flat deck with the truck for other things.

The Hino 195 is extremely easy to drive, while the F-550 has double the horsepower/torque, and has 4x4 (I live in Canada). Does anybody have a hook lift setup, or any suggestions on this?

Thanks!

Why do you need a hook lift? They are pretty heavy and take away from payload. If you are buying new I would get the f550. I just bought a new one mostly because I've only heard good things about the new engines, and you can load the piss out of them.

Why do you need a hook lift? They are pretty heavy and take away from payload. If you are buying new I would get the f550. I just bought a new one mostly because I've only heard good things about the new engines, and you can load the piss out of them.
The model I'm leaning towards is only 1500 pounds. I like the versatility of a hook lift, I'm not set on one but know some guys that have got them, and it works really well with my current setup. I potentially plan on running a bin service (5 bins or less) organically on the side, while a majority of the trucks time is spent carrying an aluminum chip-box setup (pulling a 15" chipper or dump trailer), or a flat deck with my fert-rig attached.

Latest posts

Back