Homelite C-91

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kissfan113

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Found an old Homelite C-91 today at the local scrap yard, I saw it laying there with another older model Homelite big saw, the older saw is blue and looks unlike anything i've ever seen before, the C-91 is red. The blue saw is locked, but the C-91 turns over, havn't put any gas in it yet, as there is some extensive cleanup i feel necessary before trying to fire it up. I'm amazed someone would just pitch these saws into a pile of scrap metal destined for the shredder. I just had to save em. I don't know if either is worth the time or effort to restore if I could find parts, or if i should just get them running good and use them along side my Stihl 460 Magnum.

The C-91 is around 85 cc and is a nice old saw. They don't turn the kind of RPM's a modern saw will so will never have the chainspeed to cut as fast. They do pretty well with .404 chain and bars around 24-28 inches. Certainly worth putting a little time into. Not going to make you rich though.

The C-91 is around 85 cc and is a nice old saw. They don't turn the kind of RPM's a modern saw will so will never have the chainspeed to cut as fast. They do pretty well with .404 chain and bars around 24-28 inches. Certainly worth putting a little time into. Not going to make you rich though.

A+ on your post
I have a C-9, great saw. I use mine quite a bit for bucking big stuff. Not a speed demon but loads of torque and it sounds really good when it's working hard.

I posted over in chainsaw a way to blend Stihl large mount .404 sprocket nosed bars to the C Series Homelites. The Stihl Sprocket Nosed bars & Stihl .404 Chain options make a huge difference over the hard nose Homie bars in cutting speed. Worth doing if you want to actually use the saw. That entire series are good solid work horses and easy to clean & maintain. I have a XP1020 now and HAD a C-7 that I moved along to kick start another saw enthusiast in the ways of Homelite. Ran (Still run) the Stihl bars and ended up with a usefull and fun oldie. (Some people pay money to health clubs to lift weights.....)

Last edited:
C-91

I received a red C-91 this evening. It's missing the muffler, air filter, oil cap, and clutch cover. I will clean on it tomorrow and check out the jug and piston. The same person the saw came from had another "big" saw for me, but his brother had taken it to the dump!! At least I was able to get this one. I will post pictures hopefully tomorrow. Have a blessed evening.

Homelite paint

Just to let you all know, I am using Valspar's International Harvestor red Farm Implement spray paint on my C-91 and will use Dupli-Color (forgot the color's name). Here are some painted parts so far.

Latest posts

Back