Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Dader

I never got around to trying one on that frame. I think someone from HoH adapted one buy knocking the Husky module lamination out and adapting the one from the blue Prestolite module so bolted up with no adapters.
My concern might be the plate that is used to mount the coil on in an XL-12. I don't know if there's any adjustment for the coil on those.

Worth a try.

There are tons of places selling them Here's a link to one like I put in the 76

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ign...expid=e8fc8e1d-0c1f-40cc-8086-c4ef19104854-21

I've ordered one of these as it looks like it might be easier to knock the lamination out if I decided to try that. The other ones are molded in so I am reluctanat to knock the lamination out. This one looks like it has a retainer so it may be easier, but who knows.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ign...493.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3e604c4ds8eQzY

One of my Super XL Autos stopped today. No spark. I have searched and read about the ign coils and have looked on e-bay and there is only one available.
My question is did these ever come with points and how hard is it convert? Also would need part numbers. I tried the oven thing on 300* for 10 minutes and it did work for about 5 minutes then stopped again with no spark!

I have also seen some after market ignition chips. Do they work?
You didn't mention what type of ignition you have now. There were 2 different types of electronic ignitions used in SXL's, Wico/Prestolite (which are blue) and Phelon, which are black. Everyone else is assuming you have the blue one, but we really need to know which one you have now before giving options.

Converting to points would depend if you crankshaft has the cam for them, but I wouldn't consider it a option.

Blue Prestolite.
I have seen 2 different aftermarket knockoffs on Ebay snd Amazon, just wondering if they work as well or just chinese knockoffs?
Thanks for the responses!!!!

Both of these look like the one I have.

@Dader

I never got around to trying one on that frame. I think someone from HoH adapted one buy knocking the Husky module lamination out and adapting the one from the blue Prestolite module so bolted up with no adapters.
My concern might be the plate that is used to mount the coil on in an XL-12. I don't know if there's any adjustment for the coil on those.

Worth a try.

There are tons of places selling them Here's a link to one like I put in the 76

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ign...expid=e8fc8e1d-0c1f-40cc-8086-c4ef19104854-21

I've ordered one of these as it looks like it might be easier to knock the lamination out if I decided to try that. The other ones are molded in so I am reluctanat to knock the lamination out. This one looks like it has a retainer so it may be easier, but who knows.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ign...493.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3e604c4ds8eQzY

Blue Prestolite.
I have seen 2 different aftermarket knockoffs on Ebay snd Amazon, just wondering if they work as well or ste just chinese knockoffs?
Thanks for the responses!!!!
You can try baking the coil to see if it will come back to life. See link.
https://www.leonschainsawpartsandrepair.com/blog/archives/02-2016

As already stated, standard magneto reproduced the modules. They corrected the problems the originals had. They were selling them on eBay, but they are there not at the moment. You can try contacting the company directly to see if they have them in stock. Around 53 bucks.

I have no experience with the other knockoffs so I cannot comment on those.

You can try adapting a Husqvarna coil, as already stated.

Homelite knew the blue modules were a problem and stopped using them in 1987. They came out with a kit to convert to the reliable Phelon module. The kit also includes a new flywheel as the Wico flywheel can not be used with a Phelon module. Homelite part number A-00815 for the kit, there are several on eBay.

See pics

I did try the cooking thing but only for 10 minutes in 300*, the coil did work for one time, about 5 minutes maybe.
I put an offer in in the kit above (00815A) and also ordered one of the Husqvarna modules. I will try cooking the one I have for longer just to try it but at the 200* for 12-16 hrs.

Not mine just found on a sale page.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-10-28 Homelite XL12 Chainsaw Brand New Never Used.png
    Screenshot_2018-10-28 Homelite XL12 Chainsaw Brand New Never Used.png
    630.6 KB · Views: 23
Hi guys, I was just given a model 707D in a box and missing some parts. Looking for any info on it....... I already checked acres, so I know the basics. Looking for IPLs and service info. I am missing the whole clutch assembly, the air filter and filter cover, and I think I'm missing part of the recoil, I believe the pulley is missing but I've never seen this type of recoil before. I normally mess with Macs. Thanks
Pics to follow.

Hi guys, I was just given a model 707D in a box and missing some parts. Looking for any info on it....... I already checked acres, so I know the basics. Looking for IPLs and service info. I am missing the whole clutch assembly, the air filter and filter cover, and I think I'm missing part of the recoil, I believe the pulley is missing but I've never seen this type of recoil before. I normally mess with Macs. Thanks
Pics to follow.

PM sent with info

Anybody in the know.. Bought (I don't know why) a Homey 113. When I started it, it made a funny sound in the recoil area.. Further exam revealed the rope pully doing a wobble, dobble, gyroscoping kinda movement. After screwing with it for an hour the whole works came out.. Everything but the spring.. I for the life of me cannot figure out how that shaft fits on, or adheres to the cover.. Any ideas?

0EDD2AFB-0A63-4A58-8B16-DA4D778B5A55.png
Anybody in the know.. Bought (I don't know why) a Homey 113. When I started it, it made a funny sound in the recoil area.. Further exam revealed the rope pully doing a wobble, dobble, gyroscoping kinda movement. After screwing with it for an hour the whole works came out.. Everything but the spring.. I for the life of me cannot figure out how that shaft fits on, or adheres to the cover.. Any ideas?
First question is do you have all the parts?

Back