Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes it does not have the duckbill nor the brass plug unfortunately i rinsed the tank and dumped into the mulch...i did clean the pick up in the tank and saw the lil piece in the line down there... guess i will find an ipl and order the lil brass plug and a duck bill....Odds are good the lil barb went into the mulch... ya think a poulan micro barb would work on a homie duckbil?

I found it looks like parts are nla off to ebay LOl....thanks for the tip i will take a pic of what line goes where and be a little slower in disassembly ....

Nice find Tim. Looks like an earlier one on the left. External adjust, black fuel cap, rear grip and grip start. Points? I picked up a couple more on the cheap in the summer. Can't pass them up. One appears to be an electronic version with small module/coil. First of that for me. Haven't dug into it yet. Although the Husky coils work well in place of the Prestolites, I really enjoy pulling the starter covers off for the first time and not automatically seeing blue.

FWIW: I have a NOS early XL-101 cylinder. 54cc, 1 15/16” spigot diameter.

789d4ca056fa0549657928f52497e389.jpg

Make offer.

Nice find Tim. Looks like an earlier one on the left. External adjust, black fuel cap, rear grip and grip start. Points? I picked up a couple more on the cheap in the summer. Can't pass them up. One appears to be an electronic version with small module/coil. First of that for me. Haven't dug into it yet. Although the Husky coils work well in place of the Prestolites, I really enjoy pulling the starter covers off for the first time and not automatically seeing blue.

I haven't opened them up yet to see whats in there but one of them has a model number I haven't seen before. I have one 76 and the VI200 with that red rectangular Homelite chip, replacing the points. They have more advance than the blue coils and do bite if you're not quick on the starter.

Apparently the saws came from a batch bought by a local power utility and were used by crews to cut old poles up.

Anybody in the know? Will this work on a 57cc 103 XL? thanks. K
Yup.
c004a1f325cd1c1ec804c72344c4a13f.jpg

The above is an XL-123 with a 101 cylinder/piston on it.
The original cylinder was scored to a fare the well. Top end came off a ‘white death’ victim.

All in all made a nice runner from a pile of mostly junk.[emoji108]

Yup.
c004a1f325cd1c1ec804c72344c4a13f.jpg

The above is an XL-123 with a 101 cylinder/piston on it.
The original cylinder was scored to a fare the well. Top end came off a ‘white death’ victim.

All in all made a nice runner from a pile of mostly junk.[emoji108]
That's a nice saw. I wouldn't screw with it but I like the style. I think it's a cool looker. Thanks for the info. K

I’ve concluded that Homelite intended to replace the XL-12 and SXL with the XL-101 types.

They are about 1 1/2# lighter and some smaller for the same displacement. Unified crankcase/fuel tank being the size/weight saver.

But, the bar mount being part of the fuel tank cover and using ‘glue’ at first doomed it to failure.
Yank on a pinch and you have fuel leak.

New saw warranty work must have kept the dealers very busy with them. [emoji37]

I’ve concluded that Homelite intended to replace the XL-12 and SXL with the XL-101 types.

They are about 1 1/2# lighter and some smaller for the same displacement. Unified crankcase/fuel tank being the size/weight saver.

But, the bar mount being part of the fuel tank cover and using ‘glue’ at first doomed it to failure.
Yank on a pinch and you have fuel leak.

New saw warranty work must have kept the dealers very busy with them. [emoji37]
Your right. I see the problem now.. I bet the design engineers at the time said the same thing. Might be a shelf Queen cuz I never pinch, don't ya know..IMG_20180927_200748.jpg

OK Just had to... Lost track but this is number 8 or 9 I think? Second Blue. Starts and runs but no power, hits wood and bogs down. Gas was trash so a carb cleaning and we'll see.
How do we date the 7 digit serial numbers?

Attachments

• 20180814_103716.jpg
    20180814_103716.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 26

Latest posts

Back