Homelite XL101 P/C diagnosis (pics!)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonCraig

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Saw was given to my dad 20+ years ago. Original owner said "it quit". He never got around to fixing it. Mine now.

Broken rings, and some marking on the jug, but no transfer. Can't feel anything with a fingernail. Deeper scoring on one spot of the piston, but that's also gouged into the piston metal--not raised above the surface.

Opinions, please. Was this caused by a chunk of carbon breaking loose?

Think it's fixable with a couple rings? Piston+rings? Piston, rings, & jug?

Thanks in advance!

--JC

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

if that's all the ring pieces you probly got some in the case. I couldn't see the one cylinder pic very well but doesn't look horrible. clean the piston up thoroughly with emery cloth, clean out the ring grooves, make sure the gouge does not extend above the surrounding surface. clean the jug real well, see thread on AS or other places regarding how to do that with a drill. thoroughly flush the case with gas or other solvent, pour through cheesecloth or small opening screen to see what comes out. repeat until nothing comes out then do it again. put new rings in, reassemble, and run it like you stole it.
btw, what kind of saw we looking at?

Will probably buy this one, but interesting that they both claim to be 1 3/4" diameter. Guessing that's a nominal measurement?

This one wasn't listed last week:

XL 101 piston

I'll probably just end up buying that one. A $20 mistake on the first one isn't the most expensive mistake I've ever made.

Will probably buy this one, but interesting that they both claim to be 1 3/4" diameter. Guessing that's a nominal measurement?

This one wasn't listed last week:

XL 101 piston

I'll probably just end up buying that one. A $20 mistake on the first one isn't the most expensive mistake I've ever made.

What was the diameter of the first one? 1 13/16"? Seller never stated actual diameter.

Maybe a SXL piston.

Agree on the mistake part. I've made worse.

Little Red Barn is excellent seller on Evilbay.

When you get it assembled, you will discover why the later run XL-101 types have a compression release.

The starter pulley is some undersize for a saw of 54cc displacement. Use a pull rope of 4 or 4.5 mm dia. helps.

Back