How far do you drive for wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last summer, we were driving a bit further than usual, almost an hour and a half each way, the mileage wasn’t as far as the travel time would suggest, it was more than 11 miles up a logging road, that had about 1/2-3/4 of a mile really washed out, but it was worth the trip.

The logs were from clearing fire breaks on the 2017 Eagle Creek Fire, and the upper layers of logs were averaging 11-13% moisture content, a few down to 9%:happybanana: and we were able to park the trailer right between 2 decks. Being able to haul 2 cords at a time made it more worth the trip CDBA8FE8-A4C0-4EF2-B889-A9FA4E44A18E.jpegE0342DDA-298F-4365-B0C4-6A5F537B419E.jpeg

Plus, the scenery was spectacular, one of the previous pics was taken from right in front of the trailer

8B382D76-DCD0-4D1C-AFF0-2685C644B2CE.jpeg5B74706D-F1DF-47A8-807F-A41A6562DFF1.jpegA85A21D2-17C5-40F7-B4DC-CD9591CA54B2.jpeg

Doug :cheers:

Husky I know the area quite well and yes it is very nice until it fogs rains or snows. Summers are to die for though. Any mosquitos or is that the Alaska State Bird. I have an immense amount of Pine along with some great Oak but the road getting there is not desirable. What is your mainstay. Some Lodge Pole Pine and Fir with some Ponderosa as I remember. Your road and my road not quite the same. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1457W.jpg
    IMG_1457W.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0460.jpg
    IMG_0460.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 8
Ted, I am aware that the State Forests are different, that is why I was asking Alderman, what the rules and costs are in the State Forests, I have always cut in National Forests or Private Land.

The USDA USFS manages all the Forest Resources in the National Forests here, I don’t know how it was done when you were here, but it is USFS managed now in our NF’s

Not positive but I think it went up to $20 for two cord. No winching allowed as far as I know. Permit is good for 3 weeks I believe.
They used to sell for specific logging sites but now they sell for a specific larger area. Seems the pickings can be pretty good if you get in early. I haven’t bought a permit in several years as I’ve been cutting on my own place, but I think this is pretty close to what it is now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not positive but I think it went up to $20 for two cord. No winching allowed as far as I know. Permit is good for 3 weeks I believe.
They used to sell for specific logging sites but now they sell for a specific larger area. Seems the pickings can be pretty good if you get in early. I haven’t bought a permit in several years as I’ve been cutting on my own place, but I think this is pretty close to what it is now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow, quite the difference, other than price. In the National Forests the “Permit” is free, and covers the whole NF that you are in, until the end of the Wood cutting season, which IIRC, is the end of November, in the Mt Hood NF, where we cut. The “closure date” is mostly irrelevant any way, most of the allowable cutting areas are well snowed in long before November 30th.

The “Tags” are half cord tags $10/Cord, $20 Minimum purchase, the tags like the Permit are good for the whole season, we are allowed 6 cords per household in the Mt. Hood NF

Open season dates, prices and limits vary some from NF to NF, mostly based on population density and supply of wood available in the Forest, but the $20 minimum purchase seems to be pretty standard

Probably average around 50 miles round trip here.
Looks like fun, kinda the same here. How do you like the chainsaw winch? Most of our wood is a ways from the road. Need more pictures of the wood hauler too :) . Whats the wooden box in the back?
Wooden box is my saw rack. I really like the Lewis winch, I had to up grade to 1/4 inch 6x19 cable though. The 3/16 it came with, well, I wasted the whole drum worth in one skid lol

Husky Man you live in some pretty country. Sure beats looking at cattle and corn, bean fields when we are cutting wood.

My Bad, I commented that about some previous pics, those are posted in the “Reliable Chainsaw” thread, got my threads mixed up

Here are a couple more
E31F60CC-4C90-4DEE-83A1-B355DD23617D.jpegD3AFACDD-0857-4FD4-8384-5A08983DDEAD.jpeg8D3000E2-6913-42FC-9BBC-D9F67F7539F4.jpeg
The Pic of “Yogi” is in the backyard of one of my Wife’s clients, the middle pic is near a cutting area off of NF Rd 4410, the bottom pic was taken right in front of the trailer by the log decks we were cutting off

8FBEBF05-5239-4A25-A4A6-FA85B22BC600.jpeg
“Downtown Brightwood “ :laughing:
I Really Do Love where I live though

6610CD57-551A-4275-9FF8-6E2B61E037D0.jpeg96094D87-462F-4AE1-94EE-112B767FFD96.jpeg
These are a quarter mile from Downtown Brightwood, and a bit over a mile from the house. We’re only about 1,200’ at the house and around 1,000’ elevation in Brightwood, but we still get a bit of snow every winter

Doug
:cheers:

Normally I wont go more then an hour away for wood. We have the spotted lantern bug. I've never seen one around here, but have seen them in other county's. Because of theis it's been getting harder to get "free" or cheap wood. And I dont want to bring it home with me. I have a no good neighbor that surrounds me with 30+ acre woods. Lots of dead fall and standing dead. He apparently wanted to buy my house, but couldnt get a bank to loan him the money. Hes still sore I got it, so no wood for me, unless it falls over the property line. I'm about to loose my gravy patch as well, that's about 20 min from me. All the nice oak I can load in the trailer. All standing dead. No one cares how I get it out, and normally am able to winch till my deck over is full. I did have a good score last year. PPL was clearing out a high tension. Line near my place. They needed somewhere to go with the "undesirable rounds" so I took them. Got about 6 to 8 cords worth from them. They are quite stingy around here with state forest cutting, and the local land gets logged in rotation so were not allowed on to get firewood. The let the tops lay and load up the rest. If its rejected it sits in piles and rots. Makes me sick.

My Bad, I commented that about some previous pics, those are posted in the “Reliable Chainsaw” thread, got my threads mixed up

Here are a couple more
View attachment 833553View attachment 833554View attachment 833558
The Pic of “Yogi” is in the backyard of one of my Wife’s clients, the middle pic is near a cutting area off of NF Rd 4410, the bottom pic was taken right in front of the trailer by the log decks we were cutting off

View attachment 833559
“Downtown Brightwood “ :laughing:
I Really Do Love where I live though

View attachment 833560View attachment 833561
These are a quarter mile from Downtown Brightwood, and a bit over a mile from the house. We’re only about 1,200’ at the house and around 1,000’ elevation in Brightwood, but we still get a bit of snow every winter

Doug
:cheers:
Brightwood reminds me of Sicily from Northern Exposure.

Latest posts

Back