How far do you drive for wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those were very easy . Kubota and a winch on the trailer . Now I use the arch if I dont have the kubotaView attachment 831231
I'd like to see more of your arch setup. What keeps it from pulling back onto the trailer when the winched is used. I'd like to do something like that for my small 5 x 8 trailer. Right now I use a cheap HF under-powered winch to dead pull a log up the tilted bed of my trailer. If I could lift the log with the winch, I think it'd be easier.

Dig you could use a snatch block or get two winches or upgrade your winch. I built one that can pull virtually any thing, but may need several snatch blocks. I am working on a more portable light weight lewis style winch that has about 5 HP that does not get hot or tired. Thanks

Attachments

• treework8.JPG
    treework8.JPG
    512.4 KB · Views: 16
I don't drive for firewood. Our property is large enough to have tall birch, pine and spruce trees as well as some fruit trees. I try to keep a natural cycle of having always an equal amount of seasoned and seasoning firewood and not to cut too many trees for one winter.

That hasn't been always like that. My wife's ex was lazy and no-count so I had to dispose three ultra-thick logs since those had been soaking in the rain uncovered for years!
Wife actually bought firewood from a local farm before I appeared.

her-daddy-was-lazy-and-no-count-claimed-he-had-a-bad-back.jpg

I'd like to see more of your arch setup. What keeps it from pulling back onto the trailer when the winched is used. I'd like to do something like that for my small 5 x 8 trailer. Right now I use a cheap HF under-powered winch to dead pull a log up the tilted bed of my trailer. If I could lift the log with the winch, I think it'd be easier.
The weight of the log keeps it out till it's about a 1/3of the way in. Then the arch tips back into the trailer . 20200222_113050.jpg

Link to build
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/log-arch-build.339958/

Been cutting the past few years in my own back yard woodlot. If I had to I could get permits from the stare and usually be able to find wood within 10 miles or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been cutting the past few years in my own back yard woodlot. If I had to I could get permits from the stare and usually be able to find wood within 10 miles or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do permits for the Oregon State Forests cost, and how much are you allowed to take?, Are you allowed to to Fall, or Winch anything?

Here in the Mt. Hood National Forest, the Forest Circus charges $10/cord, with a minimum $20 purchase, up to 6 cords, NO Falling or Winching.

Forest Circus rules vary from NF to NF though, Bend/Fort Rock unit is $10/Cord, up to 8 Cords, Falling up to 24" DBH Standing Dead, I don't recall on winching there
Wenatchee, NF, $5/Cord up to 12 Cords, Fall Standing Dead up to 20" DBH, IIRC winching is allowed

Would you be cutting in the Tillamook State Forest?

Doug :cheers:

Decided to sleep with the trees. My backyard.

Shower, stove, and roof is a 3 minute ride in low range.

Finding public, state, anything besides your own to winch is difficult. A LOT of young trees can be destroyed, along with ruining a nice lumber log with a nasty bruise. Some guys don't care or don't think far enough ahead.

I winch short, carry pulleys for more power or to steer my pulls, a torsion bar I use with a point to stab ground to help steer, and tin shields to protect anything I need to scuff against.

Setting up an electric spool, a relay, and a solid state relay, controlled with my kids old menards radio truck receiver, it's made winching super easy and near non damaging.

b9fabbccfda35e4fd68bd4262ddde428.jpg

I’m fortunate to have a spot about 5 miles from my office. Truck can only carry about 1/3 cord, but I’m not having to make special trips. Commute is about 40 miles round trip. The 545 and 16 inch bar make cutting rounds quick work. Can usually have a load in about 1-2 hours, depending on how far off the road I’m going.

Attachments

• 34A4AF1E-8B04-4EC4-8516-336ED29A42B1.jpeg
    34A4AF1E-8B04-4EC4-8516-336ED29A42B1.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 10
I have been traveling about 10 miles to a coworker's house for some wild cherry, poplar and walnut. My ram 2500 is a crewcab short bed but the 7'x14' trailer gets er done.

What do permits for the Oregon State Forests cost, and how much are you allowed to take?, Are you allowed to to Fall, or Winch anything? Here in the Mt. Hood National Forest, the Forest Circus charges $10/cord, with a minimum $20 purchase, up to 6 cords, NO Falling or Winching. Forest Circus rules vary from NF to NF though, Bend/Fort Rock unit is $10/Cord, up to 8 Cords, Falling up to 24" DBH Standing Dead, I don't recall on winching there Wenatchee, NF, $5/Cord up to 12 Cords, Fall Standing Dead up to 20" DBH, IIRC winching is allowed Would you be cutting in the Tillamook State Forest? Doug :cheers:

National Forest is different than State Forest or the USDA USFS. When I worked in Oregon I watched the logging companies and when they were getting to a point when they had a pile of stuff that was obvious that they were not going to transport I would ask them if I could have it. This was when I was part of the planning team at the USFS so I was getting paid to keep an eye on the companies progress. When they thought that I would not get in their way they said go ahead ad take it. The wood cost me nothing, but I had to make a dent in the pile or they told me not to bother. The USFS in California charges $20.00 a cord with a maximum of five cords per year or get some one else to sign for another five cords. and not commercial. This is for home owners I buy culled lots of wood for about $00.75 a cord with no limit. It depends on who the resource chief is on how they want to work with you. I have been through four Rangers in the past ten years so building a relationship is very important. Thanks

I’m fortunate to have a spot about 5 miles from my office. Truck can only carry about 1/3 cord, but I’m not having to make special trips. Commute is about 40 miles round trip. The 545 and 16 inch bar make cutting rounds quick work. Can usually have a load in about 1-2 hours, depending on how far off the road I’m going.

Just as a FYI to those of you in CA and close to National Forest land - there is free firewood cutting until September 30, 2020. Call up the local forest to find out if there’s a limit on amount, but this is new info as of last week.

Just as a FYI to those of you in CA and close to National Forest land - there is free firewood cutting until September 30, 2020. Call up the local forest to find out if there’s a limit on amount, but this is new info as of last week.

The Mt. Hood NF, was originally free until June 1st, but was extended to September 7th, all other rules, conditions and limits still apply, still 6 cords for us.

National Forest is different than State Forest or the USDA USFS. When I worked in Oregon I watched the logging companies and when they were getting to a point when they had a pile of stuff that was obvious that they were not going to transport I would ask them if I could have it. This was when I was part of the planning team at the USFS so I was getting paid to keep an eye on the companies progress. When they thought that I would not get in their way they said go ahead ad take it. The wood cost me nothing, but I had to make a dent in the pile or they told me not to bother. The USFS in California charges $20.00 a cord with a maximum of five cords per year or get some one else to sign for another five cords. and not commercial. This is for home owners I buy culled lots of wood for about $00.75 a cord with no limit. It depends on who the resource chief is on how they want to work with you. I have been through four Rangers in the past ten years so building a relationship is very important. Thanks

Ted, I am aware that the State Forests are different, that is why I was asking Alderman, what the rules and costs are in the State Forests, I have always cut in National Forests or Private Land.

The USDA USFS manages all the Forest Resources in the National Forests here, I don’t know how it was done when you were here, but it is USFS managed now in our NF’s

The USDA USFS is the same every where in the US. I worked for them some years ago. I have been actively been working with them for more than twenty years. I have done projects in Idaho, Washington, Oregon and California and do not know any difference. There are good resource people and some people are less than compentent. One particular issue was a review of my fire plan which took close to a year. My resource person worked very hard to acheive an end result. Just like all agencies there are really good and not so good. I for most part have done commercial sales which have very few limitations. An OP needs to figure out what the USFS needs and go after that particular need. If there is an area of many acres of dead trees then that is where you need to go. Thanks

On average I drive approximately 150 miles round trip to cut one cord of premium softwood firewood. In these pics is a Douglas fir that I cut today. Had to hike up 60 percent slope about 150feet, fell it, then drag my choker up to it, lots of work, but fun!View attachment 831134View attachment 831135View attachment 831138
Probably average around 50 miles round trip here.
Looks like fun, kinda the same here. How do you like the chainsaw winch? Most of our wood is a ways from the road. Need more pictures of the wood hauler too :) . Whats the wooden box in the back?

Latest posts

Back