ArboristSite.com Sponsors

How many SuperSplit owners?

mr.finn

mr.finn

ArboristSite Guru
Are there pieces that I could put on the SS, take a few whacks and get it split, sure, but I like to baby it. Plus I have started to become pickier than normal about the wood that I bring around.

Natster

Natster

ArboristSite Guru
well, recently, we got a load of wood. It was 30" + oak. We turned the old lowes splitter vertical, and quartered it. And, loaded the quarters. Took it all home, then split the quarters at home. They were simply too big and heavy to move without quartering. Some were over 36" dia.
N

Greenie

Greenie

ArboristSite Lurker
We purchased a SuperSplit in 2005 and used it to finely split 16" hardwood - mostly white birch to sell to campers. We averaged around 50 cords a year. Prison inmates ran the splitters along with seasonal staff - it did not get babied. When I wasn't watching the crew would attempt to push up or gather firewood with a tractor bucket - making a mess and also getting a lot of gravel on the firewood. In time, despite my best efforts a channel got worn in the beam. Bearings I bought 4 at a time and replaced the bearings pretty frequently. If we would have been more careful with cleaning the beam never would have worn like it did. Despite that over the years we split about 700 cords - very fine. The Subaru motor was replaced around year 12 with a Honda. The control rod was replaced twice, the fiber handle once, the belts once.
It doesn't like 24" logs - if the ram contacts the wood (too long) the machine chatters so rather than risk the time wasted we cut logs into 22" pieces when not producing the 16" firewood. It would be nice if a longer model was available as my stove takes 27" sticks.
I retired and just burn firewood for my home now but I'm saving up for a Supersplit just because I dislike hydraulic splitters so much.

Greenie

Greenie

ArboristSite Lurker
"Which model did you get?"
Heavy Duty Splitter..........................2,898.00
Honda GX 200 (5.5hp).........................95.00
Standard Production Table...............289.00
Front leg hitch......................................80.00
Crating Charge.....................................38.00
Shipping..............................................210.00

Total.................................................3,610.00