SuperSplitter rack spring roller mod #2 (final design!)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sierra99

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
SuperSplitter owners, as you know, I could brag about how great this splitter is for 99% of the wood we encounter, but it would be preaching to the choir. I've had hydraulics... I sold them. This one is a joy to use and very efficient with time and fuel.

But many discussions on this great web site address the rack lift spring & bearing. It requires some care, keeping the I-beam clean, lubed, sometimes replacing the bearing. It was originally a 3/4" OD bearing, now I understand it's 7/8". My machine is from 2010 and had the 3/4" bearing. About 10 years ago I made a bracket that held 2 of the 3/4" bearings, and this worked OK but , wasn't really a game changer, bean cleanliness was still important, then one of the bearing shells broke and started wearing on the beam. I used as sanding disk on an angle grinder to polish and smooth the I-beam top. It cleaned up in 2 minutes.

Around Christmas, 2019 I drew plans for an improved roller "truck" with two of polyurethane tires and sealed bearings, using 10mm OD high chrome linear bearing rod, with the capable assistance of a machinist friend who patiently turned the circlip grooves into the axles. Mild steel would be easier to machine.

See attached pics and plans. The rubber roller tires are 30mm wide, 30mm diameter, and slip perfectly over 10mm rod. They are easy on the I-beam surface, absorb the shock & vibration of rolling over sand, sawdust and the usual bark dirt. I still sweep the beam with my hand after every split, a good habit. I had to file some on yoke tab to get it adjusted right , but you could drill/tap and install two set screws for micro-adjustment and easily get it perfect aligned.

I cut off the stock rubber bumper mounts to make way for the wider rollers, then relocated the bumpers to a new bracket at the back end where the rear end of the rack stops. See attached pic, a little "rustic", but I'll paint it soon (after 4 seasons) and take some pics. I had to shift the stop point forward a little, something like 1.0 to 1.5" (I'll check later) for clearance between the rear roller and drive pinion. Works great and I had to relax the return springs to soften the return action, it was hitting the bumpers too hard.

-B.Peck, Reno

Attachments

• RackRearStop.jpg
    RackRearStop.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 0
  • RackSpringRollerPic.jpg
    RackSpringRollerPic.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 0
  • RackSpringRollerPlans.pdf
    188.4 KB · Views: 0
In case the attached plans PDF file didn't go through, here is a jpg of the same thing. I can't produce these, so you'll have to make your own. Enjoy and thank you for all the great "lurking" I've enjoyed over the years.

Attachments

• RackSpringRollerPlans.jpg
    RackSpringRollerPlans.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back