How much wood is in a pile?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8 wide 9 long. Closer to 8.5 long with tail boards in place. Current side racks are 2' tall, those are just general use sides. Figured closer to fall I'll make some 4' high so it'll hold two cords stacked to top of sides.

I've been piling not stacking. I've got a pretty good bit worked up now but I have no clue how much I have lol. Any one have any idea how to calculate this? I know a lot of commercial firewood operations do it this way but never heard how they know how much there is. Would appreciate some help here. I'm never in the mood to stack and my stacks would not be very uniform anyway due to different lengths of splits for various reasons. I'll get some pictures in a bit but it's really hard to show the size.

Stacking allows air to circulate and keep rot and fungus from consuming your wood pile.
Pilling the wood doesn't allow for good air circulation.
My advice is to stack it. The wood in the pictures looks like it can be stacked with no problem.
It be ashamed to let that pile of wood rot away.
That pile in the picture looks like about 2 to 3 cords worth.

Hope you have at least a one ton truck. Even with sides ,two cords in an eight ft. bed is a lot volume and weight wise .
Yea this was covered earlier, I've got enough truck and I'm definitely aware of the weight lol I'm not saying two cords split and stacked would be comfortable for a long drive, but I can fit that much with 4' sides and the truck will hold the weight if I respect it's limits.

2yrs ago I had 2 see difference between wood thrown n back of truck v/s stacked.So,I threw a load n back of truck.Then unloaded it&reloaded it only stacking this time.Now,I know major pop of ppl all think its so much more if stacked....well,it is but only by about 10-15 pcs.That is with wood pretty much all facing same direction when thrown n.

Latest posts

Back