Husqvarna 262xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Esq1997

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Good afternoon-
Still looking to upgrade to a used pro-level saw. I've noticed that many on this site really covet the 262xp. I have a chance to purchase one, but the owner replaced the piston and rings. He had the saw compression tested and it is 125 lbs. He thinks it may be the crank seals. My question is is this saw worth buying (and tuning up) if the price is right? Cosmetically it looks used but not abused. The seller is asking 300, but will negotiate.

Thank you for any advise you can offer.

Pull the muffler if allowed. 125 is low for 262, my stock one had 175 used a lot. Gauge may be bad.

And price is high/way high. ks cylinder w/ hd87 carb(correct me if wrong) are the top dollar 262xp's. If it needs crank seals I say its worth 100 bucks at most especially w/ low compression. Check the for sale sections on these forums, it's a buyers market right now.

Buyer says he will take 225. He said he has no idea if its the crank seals. Said he installed the Lil Red Barn piston and rings and only used the say for a few minutes, then did the compression test.

Rings, seals, new OEM or meteor p/c. Did he just put a cheap piston in it and not find and solve problem with saw. Plan on a case up rebuild. If crank is bad, you are upside down.

at $225 it certainly worth looking at, though if it doesnt run and isnt pretty then id be more along the lines of $50-100. why people buy those little red barn pistons for saws where meteor makes one i just wont ever understand.

The saw runs great but there is definitely a compression issue. Just not an expert and would have to have someone restore it to its original specs. I'd love to find one that is not altered but they are very hard to find in good condition around my neck of the woods.

The saw runs great but there is definitely a compression issue. Just not an expert and would have to have someone restore it to its original specs. I'd love to find one that is not altered but they are very hard to find in good condition around my neck of the woods.
Mint 262xp's are out there, but a 262 is not hard to understand or work on. Jump in and get your feet wet. Even if build goes south you can sell 262 parts, or send it to a Restorer of the finest saws ever manufactured.

and crank seals have nothing to do with compression. lol
Have to disagree with that statement, crank seal fails and sucks air, saws compression will be effected adversely. Checking compression, yes I agree!

Back