Husqvarna 346xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ant50

Reaction score
Because of all the great info on this site I've narrowed down my next(first also)real chainsaw. I'm leaning toward the 346xp but read some post where it said inexperianced users would'nt like the power band,and the saw will bog if pushed down on to hard . What is exactaly meant by this,being an xp mean this is a pro saw it should have more than enough power?

I've also been looking at a 026. I see Stihl uses an outdrive mounted sprocket. Any adv/dis about this desigh. Thanks again guys, I'm hoping to purchase tommorrow!! :)

As far as the inboard sprocket/outboard clutch design, it is a little harder to remove/install the chain, as you have to feed it over the clutch, but mostly it's harder to remove the clutch drum with the outboard design. The 026 clutch will come apart just by popping off a snap ring. I also find that when ripping wood, the inboard sprocket/outboard clutch design tends to plug with long chips more easily, but that may be more to do with the chip clearances designed into different clutch covers. The outboard clutch does keep heat away from the main seals/bearings, but unless you're abusing the machine, I don't think that's a huge issue. Having said all that, buy the 346XP, I think it's a better value. You will learn to keep the rpms in the sweat spot, and I don't see a pro saw being so different from a consumer saw that a consumer would't like one. "Pro" just means it's built with higher quality components, and usually more performance.

You may want to shop around for the 346XP, as you can find some price variation with Husky. Stihl dealers seem coerced into asking the same price. (What happened to competition?) You can get the 346XP for about $370, but that's over the internet, and dealer support may be important to you. If you do buy the Stihl, make sure to mention "Husqvarna 346XP" to the dealer. Maybe you'll scare them into knocking off $20 or so.

Last edited:
Ant50,
I just bought the Husky 346XP. I also have two Stihl 026s. You will love the husky. It is a great saw. I paid 399 from a local dealer but I believe Chainsawworld (who posts here) had it for 369. I don't change sprockets myself so that is not an issue for me. As far as, the saw bogging down, this usually happens because the chain is not sharp and you're trying to overcompensate. Remember also that this is a 46CC saw. I'll let you try my Stihl 066 with 20" bar if you want a saw that doesn't bog down. In my opinion it is worth the extra dough for the pro XP models.

Woodho

Back