Husqvarna 385 wont start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammerfore

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
While cutting firewood this morning after a break my 385 would not start, or rather it hit once or twice and then nothing. I have checked the usual things and all seems ok. There is a wire on the carb that is no connected to anything. Is this a ground that has come loose and if so where does it go.

there shouldnt be any wires attached to the carb on that saw...possibly the kill switch wire came off, but that wouldnt keep the saw from starting. have you checked for spark/tried to restart since then?

I have spark but when I checked the compression it is at 60. not so good. The last time I used this saw it did the same thing. The compression was vat 60. I cleaned the decomp valve and it fired right up . This time no luck. I even tried replacing the valve with a bolt comp. still at 60. I checked my gage on a different engine and it works fine. I guess I need a new piston and cylinder. Any suggestions on who to get it from or more importantly who to avoid. Maybe I will try a new decomp valve first.

Finaly got back to working on the saw. I pulled the cylinder and there is one scratch that runs the length of the piston. It is just bab enough to catch your fingernail. the scratch on the cylinder is not as bad. It looks like somthing got in there and was run up and down a few times before in passed through the engine. Would this be enough to give me such low compression?

Finaly got back to working on the saw. I pulled the cylinder and there is one scratch that runs the length of the piston. It is just bab enough to catch your fingernail. the scratch on the cylinder is not as bad. It looks like somthing got in there and was run up and down a few times before in passed through the engine. Would this be enough to give me such low compression?
I would doubt that.but compression that low I doubt it will run.pull the rings off and slide one back in cylinder and measure the gap.max is 1mm.otherwise it's leaking somewhere.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Put a few drops of two stroke oil in the spark plug hole to see if she starts. It could be flooded to the point the oil on the rings got gas washed. There not sealing.

I had a 575 I got from a pawn shop that was flooded so bad I took the plug out, turn the saw upside down and pulled the rope out with the bad gas in with fresh air. The pawn shop owner told me he ran it. Sure? I put a few drops of oil to lube the piston and she fired right up.

The saw could be flooded too.

Sorry for the long delay in responding, thanks to all for your suggestions. I ended up replacing my piston and the compression relief valve. The piston had a nice scratch down one side and the relief valve was just an inexpensive shot in the dark. Anyway saw now runns like a champ. Replacing the piston was supriseingly easy. I encourage anyone thinking of doing this to go ahead. Watch a few UTube vidios and get out the tools. Thanks again to all who replied.

Back