Husqvarna 550XP idle problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamOlson

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, first time poster.

Earlier this week I purchased a 550XP and have 3-4 tanks of fuel through it. It runs and starts fine, cuts great.

But it will not idle for more than a couple seconds, maybe 3-5 seconds tops.

I could not source this saw locally so I ordered it through Baileys. Trying to avoid shipping the saw back and was wondering if you guys had any advice.

FWIW, I did some research and just backed the 'secret screw' out 1/4 of a turn but that didn't seem to help.

Thanks for any help,

Sam

New it's under warranty. Any Husqvarna Dealer can and must help you out. You start touching screws and your warranty is gone. Don't take the chance.
These are great saws when running well and usually stay like that once set up. A Dealer is your best friend in this situation.

Put that screw back to how it was set when you got it and burp the throttle to keep it running and cut a couple tankfulls of wood. If the idle doesn't sort itself out by then, you then should take it in.

FWIW my 550 hates 32:1 but runs great on 40 or 50 to one. Not sure why that little difference matters to throttle response and idling but it does.

My saw also takes a little time to adjust when you cut in significantly colder temps than when it was last operated. Seeing you are in Montana, it's possible you may be experiencing the same thing.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

I will turn the screw back in and do as you guys say.

FWIW, we had record highs here in MT the last day or two. I was cutting in the mornings and temps were 30-50F.

Put that screw back to how it was set when you got it and burp the throttle to keep it running and cut a couple tankfulls of wood. If the idle doesn't sort itself out by then, you then should take it in.

FWIW my 550 hates 32:1 but runs great on 40 or 50 to one. Not sure why that little difference matters to throttle response and idling but it does.

My saw also takes a little time to adjust when you cut in significantly colder temps than when it was last operated. Seeing you are in Montana, it's possible you may be experiencing the same thing.
Yes. Are you running 32:1? What mix?

I've tried 32:1 a handful of times in the 550 and it always got boggy. Every time I switched back to 40 or 50 to one the problem solved itself.

My 562 does not care what mix is used.

FWIW I normally use the "grey" bottle Husqvarna oil.

Accorsing to one dealer who is veru experienced with this issue the best fix is to pull the carb off, pull the butterfly plate out and slighty open the existing hole or use a dremel and trim the corner of the half moon opening. I'm sure I will catch a great deal of **** for this but I promise you it will work. Take a little at a time until it idles without stalling. It's a 10 min job and beats having to send the saw back.

Sierra, the manual states that the cover is only needed for temps below 23F. I thought that's what it said?

Mesupra, if this thing doesn't straighten out soon I may try that trick. I hate to send it back.

Ran another tank through it this morning and kinda babied it along while cutting up some oddball small firewood. It would kinda idle but more often than not died after 5 seconds.

I treid to do the reset but have no idea if it worked or not. Doesn't idle so I guess it didn't.

XP oil, 50:1, ethanol free 91 octane gas.

Getting the carb off and back on for the first time is a little tricky but only for the first time. You really don't need to remove the buttery fly you could do the modification under the suction of a shop vac too

Getting the carb off and back on for the first time is a little tricky but only for the first time. You really don't need to remove the buttery fly you could do the modification under the suction of a shop vac too

FWIW, here is the 'secret screw' location. I just used one of the carb bolts and fished the brass plug/cover right out.

Is this the plate as well?

They really are a great saw. Just hard to imagine no actual idle adjustment. Autotune needs to be designed to adjust for that

Tried it again this morning. Started off bad(wouldn't idle) but later on it idled just fine. Retested several times and it now runs and idles fine(knock on wood).

I guess the Autotune just took awhile to work itself out?

Thank you all for the guidance.

Latest posts

Back