550xp mk2 high reving problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 2 dealers I called in my area don't have any one who can use the software for diagnostics on husqvarna saws. Do you know if I can ship the carburetor to a dealer for diagnostics, or would they need the saw with the carburetor attached?
They have to have access to both the carb and coil. My dealer doesn’t like for me to bring them in off the saw for whatever reason but he will match them up off the saw if I fuss about it. Taking the coil out is a little work If you are not otherwise tearing the saw down.
I‘ve been told they can look at the numbers on the coil and tell you what carb it will work with but I dont know if that is true.

I found the problem. Crank seal on flywheel side has a massive leak. In the video I'm only seeing 1psi on my little test pump. I think the seal is part of the bearing? I can see the inner and outer race of the bearing.
I don't have the tools to split the cases to remove and replace the bearing. So unless I can find someone willing to change the bearings at a reasonable price, I will not be able to get this one running.
Anyone who can split the case and change bearings for a reasonable price? Let me know.

Thanks, Ed
View attachment 20240103_164121.mp4

I found the problem. Crank seal on flywheel side has a massive leak. In the video I'm only seeing 1psi on my little test pump. I think the seal is part of the bearing? I can see the inner and outer race of the bearing.
I don't have the tools to split the cases to remove and replace the bearing. So unless I can find someone willing to change the bearings at a reasonable price, I will not be able to get this one running.
Anyone who can split the case and change bearings for a reasonable price? Let me know.

Thanks, Ed
View attachment 1141250
The seal is not part of the bearing. It can be pulled without splitting the case.
Although be aware that alot of times when the PTO seal goes bad the bearing failing caused the seal failure. Once the seal is pulled you can inspect the bearing. Also try to wiggle the crankshaft.

The seal is not part of the bearing. It can be pulled without splitting the case.
Although be aware that alot of times when the PTO seal goes bad the bearing failing caused the seal failure. Once the seal is pulled you can inspect the bearing. Also try to wiggle the crankshaft.
I have tried to pull the seal out and can't get it. Looking at the SKF information for the part number on the bearing, it says its a sealed bearing. The Husqvarna ipl a found doesn't list a separate bearing or seal. Just the crankcase assembly.
The crankshaft doesn't have any movement but I suspect the bearing flailed and caused the leak based on my limited googling.

Ed

I have tried to pull the seal out and can't get it. Looking at the SKF information for the part number on the bearing, it says its a sealed bearing. The Husqvarna ipl a found doesn't list a separate bearing or seal. Just the crankcase assembly.
The crankshaft doesn't have any movement but I suspect the bearing flailed and caused the leak based on my limited googling.

Ed
I could be wrong, but I haven't seen such a bearing. I suspect someone will come along and set me straight.

Carefully remove old seal as sometimes better to use the old seal as a driver to put in new seals on these type of seals.

I got the seal out and found the bearing cage is gone. Going to need the case split and new bearings and seals. Probably not worth the cost to repair.

I got the seal out and found the bearing cage is gone. Going to need the case split and new bearings and seals. Probably not worth the cost to repair.
This has been my experience on several of these also. Many people thought it was just the seal that was bad and installing a new seal got it by for a while. But a bad bearing is a bad bearing.

It’s not a terrible job doing it yourself if you have some simple tools. Each sealed bearing is about $50 and a case gasket is probably $10

I'm going to try to get the intake blocked so I can do a leak test. I just need to figure out how I can block it.
husqvarna has the proper tools for blanking, its two ali bungs secured with ali plate. you could make them but its easier to just buy them complete and use straight away

Part No.
574 71 14 02

Part No.
574 70 12 01

Back