Husqvarna Filing Guide Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I like the design for positioning the file, but I never can seem to get the depth gauge part to work with low kickback chain.

I know that it will never work with the 'triple humped tie strap' type chain, but even with Husqvarna H30 / Oregon 22LPX / STIHL RMC3 chains, the drive link bumper seems to be too fat to fit into the hole.

1) Aside from the usual, negative comments on low kickback chain, has anyone used this type of filing guide on low kickback chain?

2) Any reason why I can't change the 'T' profile into a rectangular shape and get the same angle (bottom photo)?

I suppose I could use the filing gauge portion only, and use a conventional depth gauge tool, but am confused why they sell this tool that does not seem to be compatible with the low kickback chain that they promote.

Thanks for any insight.

Philbert

Husky Roller 1.jpg

Last edited:
Philbert, simplify your life and just use a file :hmm3grin2orange:

I have no clue how to use one -

Last edited:
Philbert, is this guage/tool brand specific ?? I have a couple somewhere but never tried one- hafta dig it out tonight and see what it fits. It does look to be a handy aid for sharpening.

They are not as chain specific as the Carlton File-O-Plates are. Bailey's shows the roller guides in sizes for 3/8LP, .325,.325NK, 3/8, and .404 chain, and the combined roller guide / depth plate for .325, .325NK, and 3/8.

Again, I could just use the roller guide portion of the guide, but curious to see if I can also use the depth plate.

Philbert

They will fit the H30 and 22LPX, if you use the right one for each chain. They also fit the RSC (in .325), but I don't know about the RSC3, as they have much larger rakers and ramps than the LPX.

Thanks for the input. I will try squaring out the 'T'-shaped holes when I get some time, and compare that with my conventional Oregon depth gauge gauge.
Or cut the depth gauge part off.

Philbert

I have one of those roller guides and I have tried but I can make a chain cut way better free hand than with one of those. It cuts but it's just not the same.

I have not tried one, so just speculatin, but it seems that anything holding/guiding the file prevents clear view of what you are doing- I can see if a chain is sharp, but only if I can see clearly- again, JMO

I have not tried one, so just speculatin, but it seems that anything holding/guiding the file prevents clear view of what you are doing- I can see if a chain is sharp, but only if I can see clearly- again, JMO

That is true, so I mostly use them for the rakers, not for the cutters. :msp_wink:

They will fit the H30 and 22LPX, if you use the right one for each chain. They also fit the RSC (in .325), but I don't know about the RSC3, as they have much larger rakers and ramps than the LPX.

ST is correct!! I think the reason you are having trouble is that there are different filing guides for H30(95VP) which is narrow kerf or "pixel" and 22LPX which is standard .325".
Don't modify your filing guide, find the one that's designed for standard .325 like LPX or BPX and you'll love it.

I know what you mean. But the Husqvarna roller guide is the only guide that doesn't do this. My father use to scold me years back because I couldn't freehand worth a lick. I bought a roller guide and it really helped and gave me confidence.

OK - filed them out like (top one in the photo), and checked it against an Oregon gauge.

Husky Roller Guide Modified.jpg

This was the gauge that was supposed to be for standard .325 chain, but just would not seat easily around those low kickback bumps on the drive links. Seems to work now, assuming that 'HARD' is .020 and 'SOFT' is .030.

Will see how it works over the life of the chains.

Thanks again for your input.

Philbert

Last edited:
OK - filed them out like in the bottom photo (post #1), and checked it against an Oregon gauge.

This was the gauge that was supposed to be for standard .325 chain, but just would not seat easily around those low kickback bumps on the tie straps. Seems to work now, assuming that 'HARD' is .020 and 'SOFT' is .030.

Will see how it works over the life of the chains.

Thanks again for your input.

Philbert

They tend to be a bit tight on .063 chain, as Husky doesn't offer that in .325 or 3/8". :msp_wink:
I had to widen the slots and make the front ones deeper, to make a blue 3/8" one fit 36RSC.

Thanks for the links PasoRoblesJimmy.

I understand how to use it, I just could never get the depth gauge part to fit any of my chains, even my Husqvarna chains, due to the low kickback drive links. Wanted to know if other people had the same problem, or if they mostly worked on 'non-safety chains'.

I like filing guides, files, grinders, etc. that will work will ALL 3/8" chains, or ALL .325 chains, etc.. I don't mind having different ones for different chain pitches, but do not want to have a different one for every brand and model and style of chain out there.

Problem fixed now.

Philbert

Last edited:
Thanks for the links PasoRoblesJimmy.

I understand how to use it, I just could never get the depth gauge part to fit any of my chains, even my Husqvarna chains, due to the low kickback drive links. Wanted to know if other people had the same problem, or if they mostly worked on 'non-safety chains'.

I like filing guides, files, grinders, etc. that will work will ALL 3/8" chains, or ALL .325 chains, etc.. I don't mind having different ones for different chain pitches, but do not want to have a different one for every brand and model and style of chain out there.

Problem fixed now.

Philbert

Safety chains are a real pain. Instead of struggling with the stupid rakers and guard links on safety chain, I just replace them with regular WoodsmanPro chain.

ST's suggestion of widening the slot in the filing guide for the raker looks to be a good idea.

I have one of those roller guides and I have tried but I can make a chain cut way better free hand than with one of those. It cuts but it's just not the same.

Philbert, simplify your life and just use a file :hmm3grin2orange:

I have no clue how to use one -

:msp_thumbsup::chainsaw::msp_thumbup::msp_thumbup::msp_thumbup: Rep'd

I have two.

My .325 one works fine with husky and stihl chains and I like it.

The second one I have is marked 3/8 micro, and I'm having trouble getting it to fit over the straps to file my cutters on my oregon and stihl 3/8 chains. Are there two different options available for 3/8? Standard 3/8 and micro 3/8?

I was unaware of a micro 3/8 size. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back