Hyway 660 cylinder kit review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the cranks are both good make no mistake they are both going back together. I always wanted to pit a stock Makita 6400 series up against a stock aftermarket BB kit. I'll do a bone stock 6400 up and see if it can keep up with the off the shelf AM with no mods at all on them. Then do up a 6400 cylinder. I'd like to take progressive steps on both setups. Do some vids same bar and chain. Doing a muf mod and then later go back into the cylinders. I'll take them both to a job or two and the firewood pile. They will get pounded on a bit before leaving my stable to make damn sure they are right as rain. Who knows maybe they never leave and take up a new spot in the fleet.

You listening Randy? PM me. Time to see what you have to plug and play on these Mik's.

I'm listening and have a 6400 kit to fit. I'm about to go to work and will send a PM this evening with the details.

If the cranks are both good make no mistake they are both going back together. I always wanted to pit a stock Makita 6400 series up against a stock aftermarket BB kit. I'll do a bone stock 6400 up and see if it can keep up with the off the shelf AM with no mods at all on them. Then do up a 6400 cylinder. I'd like to take progressive steps on both setups. Do some vids same bar and chain. Doing a muf mod and then later go back into the cylinders. I'll take them both to a job or two and the firewood pile. They will get pounded on a bit before leaving my stable to make damn sure they are right as rain. Who knows maybe they never leave and take up a new spot in the fleet.

You listening Randy? PM me. Time to see what you have to plug and play on these Mik's.

I have a BB kit on my 6401 I did last year,but I did widen the ports and open the muff up. I have hardly ran it yet ! LOL Had other problem with it ,new carb and flywheel later,it runs very nice ! Just need to get it out to run it more.
I can't remember what brand the kit is ?

The kit was removed and a Meteor kit went to the mill. Rings in this one didn't last, the bevels were not very good.... as a plug and play kit, with a little work, it will work fine.

For the 066/660 use the Mako kit.

Men, I just had my first run in with AM parts. I was installing a AM ring on a AM piston and the damn thing just broke right in two. I didn't even get to put enough pressure on it to start it over the piston before it crumbled not snap crumbled!:mad: Now am going to have to go into the profits to get the saw finished for the client. :cry::givebeer:

I have had no trouble with many many Hyway standard bore kits or some other good ones. I almost always just have to go over the port bevels with a hard roll, anal I guess. Just use Caber or equivalent rings. OEM comes to mind...
Some day you guys will learn that, maybe. Please help me out here builders. Yell if you have to.

Oh, btw: SOAP AND WATER WORK WOOOOOONDERS...

I ported what I think was a 660 Hyway BB kit for Nathan (nstueve), It went to a tree service guy who is still running it pretty hard. So once you fix the port bevels they hold up just fine.

I ported what I think was a 660 Hyway BB kit for Nathan (nstueve), It went to a tree service guy who is still running it pretty hard. So once you fix the port bevels they hold up just fine.

Yea both the guys using that hyway 066 bbk are heavy handed. Not the worst and not the best for abusive users. Gets lots of hours and still running hard. Shaun also forgot to mention the big intake timing but doesn't seem to affect power. Ours had some light grinding by Shaun but no lathe work.

Then is wasn't a Hyway... there are only two guys in the US that get them... one of them being me.

That was probably a Forester kit. My dealer uses them for mower parts and every time I'm in there he is cussing them. Don't know why he's so slow to realize, they are pretty much hit and miss and mostly miss.

Some dealers will give a warranty, you need to find a parts supplier that warranties his parts.... period! They have been tested and he stands behind them, won't sell junk for the most part is what that really means. Even the good branded ones can make a bad kit.

I say you got a well used saw, it should be a perfect candidate for the replacement cylinder. It's almost a ideal situation for a true test, in other words, well used.....kinda weak......time for a freshen up. The cost verses going Oem or aftermarket.

I say bolt the cylinder up as is.

Now, something else, I wonder if one of those hour meters that has the wire that wrap around the spark plug wire would work on the saw. That way the total number of hours could be kept up with. I'm not sure it will work because I've only seen them advertised for lawn mowers. No need to keep up with how many tanks are run thru it.

Carbon build up! Wow! That was a lot! Do you think the saw was ran improperly tuned? Or did it appear as normal build up?
Hey, all that carbon build up equals higher compression numbers!

Hi there I know this is a old thread but I would like to get some advice on using a Hyway cylinder and a meteor piston combo kit on a ms660 ?? Has anyone tried that before thank you for your replys in advance.:happy:

Back