I just ruined a cylinder with a piston stop tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Mccarthy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was using one of those screw in type piston stop tool. Was removing the nut for the flywheel, cracked the top of the cylinder. Saw is a Poulan 3300. I think I will go back to stogging rope in there. Pics to follow.

7QvFicc.jpg

Y69W0G8.jpg

I was using one of those screw in type piston stop tool. Was removing the nut for the flywheel, cracked the top of the cylinder. Saw is a Poulan 3300. I think I will go back to stogging rope in there. Pics to follow.
Wow! I just posted on the Poulan thread about using a piece of rope for a piston stop on a 3800 and busting the top out of the cylinder. Was also trying to get the clutch off.

Just use an impact wrench or drill driver.
Stop listening to the guys here and tearing your stuff up.

Leave the sparkplug in, and use a drill driver.
That's good advice.
It goes against what I am used to. I am an Aircraft mechanic and a impact gun is a major no-no.
I guess that's why I never thought to use one.

THanks!

I've seen those tools. Look to me like they concentrate the force over to small an area of the piston. Rope would spread the force out wider. But an impact driver is the best method.

That's corect. I always use rope. 3/8 not soft rope.

That's good advice.
It goes against what I am used to. I am an Aircraft mechanic and a impact gun is a major no-no.
I guess that's why I never thought to use one.

THanks!

Don't use to tight but is ok for lose with impact. I am a mechanic to....
Original was made to make easy to lose not to tight.

Way back in the mid 1990s, I tried to get a job at a Sylvania plant, but they wouldn't hire me as a mechanic or line adjuster because I hadn't been through machinist school. So I just started as a temp and just got on, to try to go permanent/full time later.
I was sent to work on a brand new line, it was being installed by the germans, the new skinny Neva flourescent tube. So getting started, it had a lot of kinks to work out, and I was on the second shift. So the line would be shut down a lot, trying to work out all of the bugs. Most of the tech guys were fresh out of machinist schools too, as the experienced ones had 1st shift, so they were pretty poor at fixing anything.
One night, the line shut down, a spindle had locked up, and the foreman was sending all of the temps home. I asked if I could hang around and clean, etc., as I needed the hours.
While working, I was watching the "machinists" trying to work on this problem. They had on one of their benches this spindle, with a large cogged gear on it, and it was locked up, and they couldn't get the nut loose that held it onto the shaft. They had the bearings here at the plant, but since they couldn't get the gear pulley off, they couldn't fix it.
The were calling Germany to get the whole thing overnighted, which meant that the line might be shut down the next night too, and the cost of having it "overnighted" would be in the thousands, the foremen were chatting about their dilemma.
I was sweeping nearby.... When there was a break in the action, they were talking about taking it to the other side of the plant, and putting it in their "soft-jawed" vice, etc.
I asked one of the guys that I had made friends with, "Do any of your guys have an impact wrench? I can get that bolt off in 10 seconds"
"No", was all I heard after he checked with the other guys.
"Well, can I borrow a ratchet and a 1/2 inch socket?" I asked after looking at the bolt.

"But everything here is metric!!!"

"OK, whatever...... 13mm!!!

Do you mind if I tap on the handle of your ratchet?

The bolt backed off easily, and the gear pulled off right away, as the equipment on this line was practically brand new. I handed the stuff back to the guys and picked my broom back up, and started sweeping again, the line foreman were just staring, not saying a word.

It usually takes just a little impact/tapping to get things done.....

I never did get hired there, Obama shut the plant down not too long ago.....

Wow! I just posted on the Poulan thread about using a piece of rope for a piston stop on a 3800 and busting the top out of the cylinder. Was also trying to get the clutch off.

Interesting to note that both of the saws were Poulan brands, kind of an indicator of how low quality of saws that brand must be! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

What happened to that image of the witch stirring the pot?

Back