Iowa GTG 2018

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somehow moisture is getting into the cylinder. That wrecks the spark. I'm convinced of it. Whenever we dry them out with dry heat, these engines will start and run fine. I've tried every gasoline additive that exists. Nothing works. Dry heat applied to the cylinder does work. It might as well be a heat lamp, an outdoor flood light, or a hair dryer. Take your pick.

Have used a 200w magnetic heater on the exhaust manifold (as it's the only magnetic thing on the engine other than the oil filter) for at least an hour or 2. But my Sportsman is also 20 yrs old now, has over 5200 miles on it now so I wouldn't be surprised if the engine is getting a little tired too. I got it in 2009 from a Polaris shop that got it from the 2nd owner who just used it for mainly for trail riding. Just going to run it until something major breaks on it or I can't get any parts at all for it anymore.

Have used a 200w magnetic heater on the exhaust manifold (as it's the only magnetic thing on the engine other than the oil filter) for at least an hour or 2. But my Sportsman is also 20 yrs old now, has over 5200 miles on it now so I wouldn't be surprised if the engine is getting a little tired too. I got it in 2009 from a Polaris shop that got it from the 2nd owner who just used it for mainly for trail riding. Just going to run it until something major breaks on it or I can't get any parts at all for it anymore.
I think my theory of moisture and air getting in there is what eventually led to the demise of my splitter's engine. That cross-threaded spark plug was letting most of it in. Each time the cylinder went down on the intake stroke, air was being drawn in and mixed with whatever air/fuel mixture the carb supplied. That leaned it out and eventually the rings were gone and compression disappeared. It took a year or so, but that was enough -- a slow death. Your Polaris could be getting into the same situation.

Incidentally, I also noticed toward the end that it was having trouble idling. I've run into that with 2-cycles also. You can judge an engine having trouble with low compression when it can't hold an idle and/or sounds sick at low speed. If your Polaris is showing this behavior, it's just a matter of time.

I think my theory of moisture and air getting in there is what eventually led to the demise of my splitter's engine. That cross-threaded spark plug was letting most of it in. Each time the cylinder went down on the intake stroke, air was being drawn in and mixed with whatever air/fuel mixture the carb supplied. That leaned it out and eventually the rings were gone and compression disappeared. It took a year or so, but that was enough -- a slow death. Your Polaris could be getting into the same situation.

Incidentally, I also noticed toward the end that it was having trouble idling. I've run into that with 2-cycles also. You can judge an engine having trouble with low compression when it can't hold an idle and/or sounds sick at low speed. If your Polaris is showing this behavior, it's just a matter of time.

There are some carb adjustment knob(s) on this era of Sportsman I can fiddle with but haven't bothered with. As to the compression ratio, I've never checked it or the spark plug on this machine at all, and it doesn't use oil either. (I use Amsoil 0W-40 full synthetic oil.) I do know it needs to be run/used more often than it is right now, as anything left to itself usually goes to pieces over time. I have also run 32:1 (91 no ethanol) mixed gas through it too sometimes, the last 1-2 inches from the bottom of the can for the saws, but I try to top it off with just straight 91 non-ethanol. Otherwise the leftover saw gas goes in the lawnmower, snowblower or splitter.

There are some carb adjustment knob(s) on this era of Sportsman I can fiddle with but haven't bothered with. As to the compression ratio, I've never checked it or the spark plug on this machine at all, and it doesn't use oil either. (I use Amsoil 0W-40 full synthetic oil.) I do know it needs to be run/used more often than it is right now, as anything left to itself usually goes to pieces over time. I have also run 32:1 (91 no ethanol) mixed gas through it too sometimes, the last 1-2 inches from the bottom of the can for the saws, but I try to top it off with just straight 91 non-ethanol. Otherwise the leftover saw gas goes in the lawnmower, snowblower or splitter.
My log splitter's engine never seemed to burn oil either. But, it died anyway. That's the only other factor that's a bit puzzling. Usually a 4-cycle will start blowing out smoke when it loses compression, burning oil from the crankcase that gets sent to the combustion chamber. Strangely enough, that never seemed to happen.

What year and model sportsman? I have quite a bit of experience with them over the years. Currently own a 2005 500 h.o.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

One of my old college engineering buddies got back to me on the splitter engine failure. He says the rings and cylinder might still be in good shape because otherwise it would have been burning oil and belching smoke. That never happened. Instead, the lost compression might be due to a hole in the top of the piston that developed slowly over time. The piston is not nearly as tough as the rings, so he has a point. Hmmm...

What year and model sportsman? I have quite a bit of experience with them over the years. Currently own a 2005 500 h.o.

98 Sportsman 500. Summery of the problem is when it sits for extended periods of time (especially during cold weather) not being used it can a bear to get started and often has to be left on full or half choke while idling until it warms up or you use it for a while.

98 Sportsman 500. Summery of the problem is when it sits for extended periods of time (especially during cold weather) not being used it can a bear to get started and often has to be left on full or half choke while idling until it warms up or you use it for a while.
Have you ever checked valve lash? The earlier 500s were kinda known for lobe failure on the exhaust side. Other than looking at that, sounds like it's time for a rebuild and retune of the carb. Adding some cranking amps to the battery can help big time also

Have you ever checked valve lash? The earlier 500s were kinda known for lobe failure on the exhaust side. Other than looking at that, sounds like it's time for a rebuild and retune of the carb. Adding some cranking amps to the battery can help big time also

Probably mess with the carb first, if that doesn't work I'll move on to the engine. I did put a new battery in it last year (don't remember how many CCA but it's a sealed ready-to-use one) and got a battery tender. There is a draw on it somewhere as the battery would go dead nearly every month. But now with the tender I haven't had any electrical issues at all. I have also heard of rocker arm failure on these engines too.

Probably mess with the carb first, if that doesn't work I'll move on to the engine. I did put a new battery in it last year (don't remember how many CCA but it's a sealed ready-to-use one) and got a battery tender. There is a draw on it somewhere as the battery would go dead nearly every month. But now with the tender I haven't had any electrical issues at all. I have also heard of rocker arm failure on these engines too.
I actually went to the extent of adding a second battery in parallel on mine. But I run it on the ice, and need it to start every time no matter what

If nuff guys wanted to check out the bundling operation where I work.
Could go over on Friday.
This is our pile been working on

bc91134b98d3036209d1e758924bc019.jpg
2bdb8d111cd16a5e54493ff9c7d8ae06.jpg

Around 55 cord there [emoji106]

Sent from Hoskvarna Hills

This reminds me of some of the Pics I see now and then from Norway. However, for deciduous firewood they usually harvest birch and occasionally beech. I installed a new engine for my log splitter. It starts and runs OK once again, same as the old engine did four years ago.

I believe Hoskvarna will have lots of satisfied customers. Your logs are about the same size as mine whenever I deliver to fireplace customers. I save shorts for a few pot-belly stove customers. They don't want anything over 13" long, so I need to keep two major piles for drying -- 10" to 13" and 16" to 19".

Another load of logs today

d4573b649dc35007540072e7976a9150.jpg
41236b970107710067da98b237a76c3f.jpg

Big burr oak 3ft across for the big bar boys.
Sent from Hoskvarna Hills
I might be able to buck up a few of those with either a 661, 660, 0r an 064. Heck, even a few of the cookies would be nice to bring back. I wish I had a big trailer that could carry 18" rounds of that gold. Classic act in my book. Holy Toledo!

Latest posts

Back