'How to Protect My Vegetable Garden From Neighboring Agricultural Spraying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Taking Del's advice, I'm starting a new thread. The title is self-explanatory.

I'm smack in the middle of hundreds of acres of row crop farmland that annually is sprayed with one type of pesticide/herbicide or another.
This spraying usually takes place the end of March and throughout April.
April 15 is the normal last frost date and when I have always planted in the past (without incident from chemical trespass).

I have a small garden, compared to most, about 10' x 12'. And another strip about 3' x 20'.

Any suggestions, or ideas?
I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem.

Taking Del's advice, I'm starting a new thread. The title is self-explanatory.

I'm smack in the middle of hundreds of acres of row crop farmland that annually is sprayed with one type of pesticide/herbicide or another.
This spraying usually takes place the end of March and throughout April.
April 15 is the normal last frost date and when I have always planted in the past (without incident from chemical trespass).

I have a small garden, compared to most, about 10' x 12'. And another strip about 3' x 20'.

Any suggestions, or ideas?
I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem.
Cover it when he spays is one way, getting the idiot to stop spraying your property would be great, but it seems they don't care. Or have Short Timer call him, LOL!

Cover it when he spays is one way, getting the idiot to stop spraying your property would be great, but it seems they don't care. Or have Short Timer call him, LOL!
I was thinking more like some kind of temporary "greenhouse" that I could uncover after they spray. It would serve as a greenhouse for seedlings and also a protective barrier from the pesticide spraying.

My garden is literally 5-10ft from the edge of an 80 acre field that was corn last year. It is a no till field with beans being planted right into the stubble this year. It gets sprayed with whatever the farmer decides to spray when the weeds emerge and never a problem in the garden. Insects are my menace. I would be planting April 30th to avoid the spray problem if that is indeed the case in your garden. Sounds like a hassle to mess with a temporary greenhouse. It would be blown away by the wind at my location.

What we are saying is that you shouldn't have to protect your garden if the application is done properly hence the reporting. I also have 4 large black locust trees about the same distance to the field and directly south of the garden that are still alive after 50-70yrs being next to the chemicals applied.

What we are saying is that you shouldn't have to protect your garden if the application is done properly hence the reporting. I also have 4 large black locust trees about the same distance to the field and directly south of the garden that are still alive after 50-70yrs being next to the chemicals applied.
I know exactly what you're saying.
Count your blessings and knock on some wood.

This question/thread is for advice on how to protect the garden, not report chemical trespass.

You protect your garden by dealing with the source. Anything else is merely a bandaid that is only a matter of time until it fails.

I'm in the same boat as you. My garden is surrounded by thousands of acres of farmland, as close as 20' and at most 150' away. This is my 4th year with this garden and so far I haven't had an issue with even the slightest drift. My lawn even goes right up to the farmers field, so if it was drifting I'd know it. But the simple fact is, when pesticides are applied properly they stay where they are put. If you are getting pesticide drift it's because it's being applied incorrectly or by someone who doesn't care about the conditions or neighboring properties. That is a much bigger problem that needs to be dealt with head on with the offending party. Structures to cover your garden aren't 100% sealed to prevent chemical intrusion, in fact they could make the situation worse.

I think covering my garden spot with clear plastic for the two weeks, or so, when they spray their burndown chemicals in early spring will work just fine for me. It's economical, efficient, and I think it also helps to warm the soil and also force any weed seeds to sprout before I plant.
As far as "dealing with the offending party head on" I've been down that road and it's a dead end... and that topic's already been discussed ad nauseum in another thread.

Per Del's suggestion I posted this thread for ideas on how to protect my garden from the (repeat) potential of chemical contamination.

I'm happy for you @jollygreengiant that you've not had any issues with chemical trespass - count your blessings.

Latest posts

Back