Ironwood Trees in Hawaii

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Msindell

Reaction score
I live on the big island in Hawaii and have some fairly large ironwood trees at the back of my property that I want to clear. Has anyone had any experience cutting ironwood trees and if so, anything I should know? I have a stihl MS271 so I think it has more than enough power to get the job done. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I live on the big island in Hawaii and have some fairly large ironwood trees at the back of my property that I want to clear. Has anyone had any experience cutting ironwood trees and if so, anything I should know? I have a stihl MS271 so I think it has more than enough power to get the job done. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I burn a lot of ironwood. Just cut it while it’s green. When it dries it gets rock hard.

"Ironwood" covers several species... size is also a factor in whether a saw is right for the job... how large are your trees?
You may want to Identify exactly what you have before cutting.... what if it's special ? (you may want it down anyway but... never know).

As has been mentioned... when green it should be easy enough to cut.... many trees are that way.

We build a lot of deck surfaces with what is marketed as ironwood (mostly Ipe).
It's hard but cuts smooth and clean with carbide blades... drills fine with HSS but does blunt them ... not so much with paddle bits. (silica blunts cutters quickly).

Even more important than power in a chainsaw is to keep the chain sharp. At the first sign it may be going dull, sharpen the chain.

You say these trees are "fairly large." It is possible that you might find a woodworker or wood seller who would remove the trees in exchange for the wood. You might check craigslist, there currently is a Big Island listing "Local Sourced Lumber Slabs/ Dimensional" and someone else is advertising ironwood for burning.

In tropical regions they call Casuarina trees iornwood.
6803735205_6845b87069_z.jpg
s-l1000.jpg

Fast growing, very brittle, dense heavy wood. Locals use for charcoal.

Latest posts

Back