Tree Roots and Neighbor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walnutfever44315

Reaction score
Hello.

Would using an auger to drill for a 8ft fence posts in front of a large larch and silver maple tree kill them. I recorded my neighbors crew chopping up my larch trees roots (on their property) and grinding up the roots on the silver maple (on their property) . They assured me the trees would be fine lol. Is this how its usually done when building a fence on a property line, or am I just being a Karen? This silver maple sits just behind our two garages; they have a brand new luxury garage/house they just built, and I have a plain unfinished garage/workshop.

Conveniently, my neighbor also inherited a family-run construction and excavation business, so he used his own crew to dig and erect the fence. I don’t have issue with the crew, they are just doing theirs jobs. But I’m afraid id be screwed by this neighbor, if that tree fell on his garage or mine. This isn't a regular neighbor to say the least, they are untouchables, they do and play as they please. For that reason, I cant depend on the honest opinion of a local Arborists in my area, because of the pull the neighbors have in the area. Any insight would be appreciated.

Here's one video of the process

title of video on youtube: LARCHMAPLE 112023​

Hello.

Would using an auger to drill for a 8ft fence posts in front of a large larch and silver maple tree kill them. I recorded my neighbors crew chopping up my larch trees roots (on their property) and grinding up the roots on the silver maple (on their property) . They assured me the trees would be fine lol. Is this how its usually done when building a fence on a property line, or am I just being a Karen? This silver maple sits just behind our two garages; they have a brand new luxury garage/house they just built, and I have a plain unfinished garage/workshop.

Conveniently, my neighbor also inherited a family-run construction and excavation business, so he used his own crew to dig and erect the fence. I don’t have issue with the crew, they are just doing theirs jobs. But I’m afraid id be screwed by this neighbor, if that tree fell on his garage or mine. This isn't a regular neighbor to say the least, they are untouchables, they do and play as they please. For that reason, I cant depend on the honest opinion of a local Arborists in my area, because of the pull the neighbors have in the area. Any insight would be appreciated.

Here's one video of the process

title of video on youtube: LARCHMAPLE 112023​

It's normally easier to move a post then chop away at tree roots. Likely not the brightest bulbs in the box. A Sawzall is lot easier if you must cut tree roots.

50 50 chance they die if the root was infact a very large one.
Consult an arboretum in your area about root damage. It's just the price of admission. They have more connections then your new rich neighbors, fact.

I wouldn't worry too much about just one root on a tree that size.
I’m not trying to be a Karen about some roots. it’s just that I’ve had first hand experience cutting out a trees 2” diameter root when I was a kid, and that tree came crashing down a year later. Of course that tree could have been dying to begin with.

I’m not trying to be a Karen about some roots. it’s just that I’ve had first hand experience cutting out a trees 2” diameter root when I was a kid, and that tree came crashing down a year later. Of course that tree could have been dying to begin with.
That would be anecdotal evidence, as opposed to statistical. While it is possible that damage could lead to the tree's demise, statistically speaking it should be fine.

That would be anecdotal evidence, as opposed to statistical. While it is possible that damage could lead to the tree's demise, statistically speaking it should be fine.
Thanks for easing my inquiry JollyLogger. I’m just worried about being on the hook for a $30,000.00 trex fence and $300,000.00 garage. The crew did state the trees were already in bad shape to begin with, which alarmed me a little. I also thought that the proper way to install fence posts close to large trees was to air hose around the roots?

Thanks for easing my inquiry JollyLogger. I’m just worried about being on the hook for a $30,000.00 trex fence and $300,000.00 garage. The crew did state the trees were already in bad shape to begin with, which alarmed me a little. I also thought that the proper way to install fence posts close to large trees was to air hose around the roots?
Yes, that would be ideal, or not to put a fence there in the first place, but this isn't an ideal world. In the event of a failure, you have video evidence of his crew damaging the root structure. Keeping in mind most climbers have an unusually high stress tolerance, I wouldn't stress about this too much.

Latest posts

Back