Large Silver Maple who's roots are turning black and breaking off

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coltrex

Reaction score
Could anyone help me identify what is going on with this silver maple. I'm located in Maryland just outside of Baltimore. This one specific tree always looked healthy until a few months ago. Currently the leaves and limbs on this tree still look healthy, but the roots have started to turn black, and crack. The wood where it's cracked looks as though it has almost dry rotted inside. I'm attaching some pictures. I'm a bit worried because this is a rather large tree and with the roots breaking like they are, I don't want it to become unstable and fall, possibly into the neighbors yard doing property damage.

Attachments

• DSC_2694.JPG
    DSC_2694.JPG
    9.5 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_2697.JPG
    DSC_2697.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_2696.JPG
    DSC_2696.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Brittle cinder fungus, it's parasitic and can compromise the integrity of your tree. Please get it looked at by a qualified arborist.
Thanks for the diagnosis. Looking it up online that definitely looks like what it is, and I guess it also means the tree needs to come down before it falls down since there is no treatment for it. I appreciate the help.

Latest posts

Back