Is Autotune software available to Joe Public?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't believe you need to log into anything.

then where does one get the latest firmwares/software should a new update be available?

quite frankly I would be happy with diag only, but as a software engineer who writes embedded software we often find some bugs that need to be addressed :laugh:

Last edited:
To be able to update any firmware or software, one must be able to log onto mother orange, unless one has a copy of the required file, and knows exactly what file they require.

Its a darn chainsaw, go out and cut wood, most/the majority of saws will never require a software update.

All regular and normal troubleshooting procedures apply to AT saws which automatically cover the vast amount of issues/repairs.

But there are the "well we changed the computer thingsy and that other doo-dad, pulled the muffler bearings, swap the piston and cylinder, changed the brake band.......................but wow it was the tank vent all along".

As an end user you can still work on your saw, likewise you can work on your own truck made in the last 20 years.

To be able to update any firmware or software, one must be able to log onto mother orange, unless one has a copy of the required file, and knows exactly what file they require.

Its a darn chainsaw, go out and cut wood, most/the majority of saws will never require a software update.

All regular and normal troubleshooting procedures apply to AT saws which automatically cover the vast amount of issues/repairs.

But there are the "well we changed the computer thingsy and that other doo-dad, pulled the muffler bearings, swap the piston and cylinder, changed the brake band.......................but wow it was the tank vent all along".

As an end user you can still work on your saw, likewise you can work on your own truck made in the last 20 years.
All true, but if an electronic component should fail, you need to be able to flash the new component with the required firmware in order to make it work as I understand it.
Believe me, I am not seeking trouble before it occurs, I just want to ensure that my bases are covered so I don't potentially end up with an unrepairable saw.
I guess all most of us will ever need to do is flash a new component with the firmware that the old component ran.

then where does one get the latest firmwares/software should a new update be available?

quite frankly I would be happy with diag only, but as a software engineer who writes embedded software we often find some bugs that need to be addressed :laugh:

It's in the diagnostic program. Click update/download and it does what it needs to do. It's a standalone setup, you don't go to any websites.

For what it's worth the prices you're quoting are somewhat similar to the prices in Europe. I'm not saying I'd trade places with you and I'm not saying that it's reasonable that the saw is double the cost but your saw is not that out of line with many other countries. It seems like the US has some of the lowest prices for current model professional chainsaws. It is unclear to me if your products/prices are purely because the market will bear it or if the overhead associated with having the necessary employees on a corporate level in australia somehow justifies or requires it.

I have been told at least anecdotally that some of the wages over there for many positions are 2x to 3x higher than they are over here.

For us in Europe(Germany&Austria) the situation isn't as easy. I have read that there are quite a few that have ordered new Stihl saws from the US only to be notified by customs that Stihl doesn't allow the import of non CE(or any other certification, I forgot which one) conform saws and thus their saw has been destructed out of security reasons! But not everyone is affected. Some have said if they get the delivery comming over the UK no problem. But I have no personal experience.

There's more mis-information in this thread than at a White House press conference.

Anybody can buy the diagnostic tool from any dealer who wishes to sell it.

Nobody can acess the software except authorized dealers using the retailer website.

There is no such thing as an account for an end user to allow access to this info.

There is no disc avaiable that contains current software, although I suppose a computer savy dealer could make one.

The only time software is really needed is when replacing a carb, as they come "blank". A carb can be programed by the selling dealer and sold over the counter to the end user. It need not be in the saw, but the serial number of the saw must be available for programing.

Without the software, the diagnostic tool can still be used for some basic maintenance tasks. I've had 2 or 3 saws that were acting funny. 1 or 2 might have had a failure code, but I don't remember for sure. Hitting "reset factory fuel settings" corrected the problems and the saws have been fine. There is also a "master reset" that I've never used.

Last edited:
Is the cable anything more than a USB cable with a connector
that you would find in an old desktop PC cabinet
Say something like the 3 wire line for a speed sensing fan.

What is pin spacing of the saw/carb/ignition end of the cable?

Plus if you're making a cable, then why not make a "T"
out of the cable end (or a "T" attachment )
and be able to connect the cable and also plug back in
between the saw components and see if a running saw
shows up in the diagnostic ware.

Back